Controllers

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally seen more tanks with issues that use apex controllers than ones where the reefer is busily adjusting and testing everything in person. Just an observation.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is under my stand...

20220805_192332.jpg
20220805_192341.jpg

That moster timer, does not interfere at all... the plug for the fuge light is on the bottom. Notice the plug directly below is just fine?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm new old school.

I have a stand-alone AWC system. I have a stand-alone ATO. I have a stand-alone temp controller with two heaters. I have a stand-alone two-part dosing system. I manually dose minor trace elements and aminos according to my own schedule.

I monitor my tank daily and test often. Just part of the love of the hobby for me.

I can see the value in combining all of these functions under one umbrella, and getting trend data and alerts from the computer, BUT I'm kind of a technical moron. I don't trust myself to be savvy enough to set up a whole tank controller properly, and don't think I would trust computerized testing. I kind of need to see it for myself.

I realize that the way that my reef is monitored has several potential failure points, but if there is a failure at any point, it's only one point and hopefully it can be addressed in a timely manner. Just can't bring myself to put too many eggs into the same basket. Can't trust one computer to control everything.

Maybe someday my opinion will change, but for now I'm OK with the way I'm doing things.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of people would benefit from the monitoring only aspect of the new Apex Jr. You don't have to control anything if you don't want.

But if we took a poll in here of how many people would want to know their tank just hit 85° while they were at work, I'd bet the vast VAST majority would want to know that. If you can act within an hour, you can likely save everything. If it hits 85 for 8+ hours, you're likely coming home to issues.

When you have $20k+ invested, $300 to monitor is a no brainer.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t see the purpose or the use for a controller! Most quality equipment these days all have their own built in controlability through apps. The only thing I can honestly think of is the trident, but I’ve read a lot of negative reviews and I think I will stick with testing by hand!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t see the purpose or the use for a controller! Most quality equipment these days all have their own built in controlability through apps. The only thing I can honestly think of is the trident, but I’ve read a lot of negative reviews and I think I will stick with testing by hand!
I typically still use the onboard controllers for my gear, but have the equipment plugged in to apex to act as a failsafe.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back