Controllers

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that has never used a controller or for some reason haven’t tried to justify adding one to my reef ?

all the posts regarding the release of the new apex has me thinking again … what could a controller do for my reef without upgrading lights and pumps
Currently using t5’s and and jeabo pumps .

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't heard of the new Neptune Apex - so thanks for the head's up! Well, in short - it can literally do anything you want it to. Mine monitors parameters, tests, doses (and adjusts based on testing), provides ATO, leak detection, PAR levels - you name it. I have everything automated so I shut down or control numerous devices during feeding, maintenance, emergencies, etc.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I the only one that has never used a controller or for some reason haven’t tried to justify adding one to my reef ?

all the posts regarding the release of the new apex has me thinking again … what could a controller do for my reef without upgrading lights and pumps

As someone who started the hobby without a controller, I can say my first tank was more successful and required less time to maintain.

They can be handy, but also add failure points. Set up your tank with redundancy and quality equipment, and you may be better off without.

My next SPS (ultra-low maintenance) build will utilize a couple simple timers, dual (quality) AC return pumps, and an industrial grade temperature controller, and that's it.

My experience with Neptune while I was running Apexes, was excellent.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you know, I am "old school" same as you. I don't have a controller on my tank either. Closest thing I have is a power tower that allows me to turn off only what I want turned off with the push of a button.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know, I am "old school" same as you. I don't have a controller on my tank either. Closest thing I have is a power tower that allows me to turn off only what I want turned off with the push of a button.
Power tower ( similar to bread clips labeled and on the end of each corresponding cord plugged into a power bar in a strategic position so I remember where it is .)

lights are on a timer , I have a 4 head dosing pump that I haven’t had to use since the old 90 gal was full of sps .
I can’t adjust intensity of the T5’s and was advised awhile ago t5’s are sufficient and no point measuring par .

as for quality equipment . I have been fairly lucky so far

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping reef tanks for 13yrs and I have never used any type of controller. Closest thing I habe is an ATO.
Same …

went against my old routine hooking up a tunze ato ..

No more carrying 5gal buckets but …. That ato still needs a bucket of water to fill it .
I argued for weeks of why it wouldn’t be easier cause I still have to carry a bucket of water , my as well just dump it into the dt .

not letting 5 gals evaporate before dumping water in has been better ..,,,

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping reef tanks for 13yrs and I have never used any type of controller. Closest thing I habe is an ATO.
I remember the old days .
I had a red sea wave maker controller . Essentially it had 4 plugs on it to plug 4 different pumps into .
I sold it a week later .

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the old days .
I had a red sea wave maker controller . Essentially it had 4 plugs on it to plug 4 different pumps into .
I sold it a week later .
And I found a google picture of it

Attachments

• 5EB51516-352C-4D6D-8CC1-6181A54715BC.jpeg
    5EB51516-352C-4D6D-8CC1-6181A54715BC.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 20

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think they are incredibly useful. I got my first one about 15 years ago...at that point, I too thought "I've been doing this for a decade without one."

Now I wouldn't run a tank without one. The fail-safes are second to none. I'm looking to upgrade my first gen apex. Not sure if I will go with v2 or v3.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The old days, this was my controller:

1659751479528.png

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think they are incredibly useful. I got my first one about 15 years ago...at that point, I too thought "I've been doing this for a decade without one."

Now I wouldn't run a tank without one. The fail-safes are second to none. I'm looking to upgrade my first gen apex. Not sure if I will go with v2 or v3.
This is partially why I posted this …

I’ve been considering adding one for years but having a hard time financially justifying the need for it .
and don’t want to lose interest as the fun of reefing is what everyone seams to be automating .

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the power tower I got for my new 135.

Each of the 4 rings has 4 well placed outlets on it. It accepts the large power packs that a lot of plugs have. The bottom ring has 2 standard plugs as well as 4 USB ports. the top 3 rings all have 4 standard outlets.

Each ring can be turned on and off independently of the others. Makes it easy to simply push a button and make the flow stop for cleaning and such.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, your not. There are a lot of hobbyists without them just as there are those with. Nothing new here.

The question is really on you, the hobbyist, and what you would want a controller to do for you. If this is something you want then you would have a requirements list. Then read up on each controller over the counter and then DIY and see which one would meet your needs.

Discussion really stops there as you are Go - must start here before you can collect $200.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the power tower I got for my new 135.

Each of the 4 rings has 4 well placed outlets on it. It accepts the large power packs that a lot of plugs have. The bottom ring has 2 standard plugs as well as 4 USB ports. the top 3 rings all have 4 standard outlets.

Each ring can be turned on and off independently of the others. Makes it easy to simply push a button and make the flow stop for cleaning and such.

Th is is pretty cool .

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my lights are Kessil app controlled, I don't need a timer for them. The fuge light I do have a basic manual style timer for. Remember me saying the outlets on this are well spaced? That huge timer fits just fine and does not interfere with access to any of the other outlets.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my lights are Kessil app controlled, I don't need a timer for them. The fuge light I do have a basic manual style timer for. Remember me saying the outlets on this are well spaced? That huge timer fits just fine and does not interfere with access to any of the other outlets.
Sold .

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact one I have now …

there is a switch on the side to switch from timer outlets or constant power .
One of the guys in my club* had one of these catch fire and burn down his house.

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is partially why I posted this …

I’ve been considering adding one for years but having a hard time financially justifying the need for it .
and don’t want to lose interest as the fun of reefing is what everyone seams to be automating .
I mostly use mine for controlling temp and monitoring stuff.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back