Controlling outlets using flow meter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just recently purchased a UV sterilizer and a flow meter so that I can monitor and set the correct flow. I was wondering if it was possible to create a logic or programming that ties a minimum flow to control the outlet that turn the UV on and off. My goal is to have the UV turn off in the event my flow is significantly reduced, as a failsafe to keep the UV from overheating.

I initially though about tying the UV and return outlets together, but then thought about instances where pump gets clogged or sump runs dry (but the return is still on). So is there a way to set it that if flow falls below 50ghp (or any other value for that matter) that the outlet controlling the UV shuts off?

Also, having the flow meter, is there any failsafe I utilize for the return now? Figured since I have the flow meter, might as well get the best use out of it.

Thanks!

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Set Alarme threshold for flow sensor:
Capture d’écran 2022-08-19 à 20.20.54.png

Set function of your switch channel to "General alarm" and "Inverted":
Capture d’écran 2022-08-19 à 20.21.37.png

Currently it is not possible to target a flow alarm specifically so the UV will turn off for any alarm. An enhancement request for this is already in progress.

Gaël

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Gael, I'll explore that option.

Must ask if you have the you UV connected to the return pump or to the pipes from the overflow?

Sincerely Lasse

The UV is plumbed into the return it goes:

return pump --> flow meter --> UV --> return nozzles into tank.

0110b7939daf5bb53eae924768647cf18f4fc1ad2b.jpg

I did it this way so that the flow meter would get me the closest reading to the UV so that it would be relatively true.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently it is not possible to target a flow alarm specifically so the UV will turn off for any alarm. An enhancement request for this is already in progress.

I was a little concerned that this may be the case. Occasionally my ATO triggers an alarm when it takes longer to fill than the max allowed time. But I guess its not that terrible since the worst that would happen is the UV just stays off until I reset the alarm.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Gael, I'll explore that option.

The UV is plumbed into the return it goes:

return pump --> flow meter --> UV --> return nozzles into tank.

0110b7939daf5bb53eae924768647cf18f4fc1ad2b.jpg

I did it this way so that the flow meter would get me the closest reading to the UV so that it would be relatively true.

OK I asked because an UV-C needs total free of air bubbles in order to work well. IMO - Its good that you chose two 45 degrees elbows instead of two 90 even if the short distance between the flow meter and the first elbow is a little bit to short in order to create a more laminate flow.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I asked because an UV-C needs total free of air bubbles in order to work well. IMO - Its good that you chose two 45 degrees elbows instead of two 90 even if the short distance between the flow meter and the first elbow is a little bit to short in order to create a more laminate flow.

Sincerely Lasse

Unfortunately, the UV and the flow sensor were added into already plumbed system, so I had to find the best place that it would work with what was already available. Its not the most ideal, but I figured it would do ok as is.

This was my original plumbing before the UV was added.
0186bba895a8a9eed79138976455f26b2474b70db1-jpg.2793373

So the return went to the UV then out the uv into the split. The original section where the return went, had to be used up, so I mounted a ractor.

OP
OP
ilyad

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went a little odd on this and programmed it a bit differently.

Instead of just using the switch channel, I programmed the UV as part of an illumination because that allowed me to also account for potential tank heating up from the UV. And the UV technically illuminates a part of the tank

Programmed the illumination channel to run almost 24 hours (1 min short because it doesn’t let you do entire 24 hours) and activated temp dependent light reduction set at 80F.

Then created a PL using that illumination channel AND general alarm (inverted). Then assigned that PL to the switch channel.

Now the UV will shut off if the tank is too hot (80F) , or any alarms go off (main alarm being the return flow dropping too low)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programmed the illumination channel to run almost 24 hours (1 min short because it doesn’t let you do entire 24 hours)
If I remember right the 00:00:00 - 23:59:00 setting is the same as constant running - however I could not find this in the programming guide

Sincerely Lasse

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back