Converting Outlet in Laundry Room to Accommodate RO pump

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the overwhelming response guys.
I’m going to just put the plug in unit behind the dryer. No alterations or potential violations going that route from what I’m reading.
Yup, that is definitely a code friendly option. Otherwise you can install a duplex receptacle to replace the simplex receptacle behind the dryer. Either one is a good option imo.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't plug a 20 amp plug into a 15 amp receptacle or adapter. It won't fit.
20 amp outlets have that silly "T" slot in them. Unless they changed the code again when I wasn't looking. ;Sour

I have a few of these because I keep removing them from my house. Screw the code. :rolleyes:

IMG_4573.JPG
Yup, but only if it is made in the US or actually built to US code. I've seen 120V power tools made in "a country which shall not be named" that pull more than 15A but don't use the proper 5-20P plug.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that is definitely a code friendly option. Otherwise you can install a duplex receptacle to replace the simplex receptacle behind the dryer. Either one is a good option imo.
On the topic of code: is it code to have one of those adapters installed permanently?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of code: is it code to have one of those adapters installed permanently?
The NEC is a construction standard so it doesn't address anything like this. OSHA could potentially have an issue with it but that doesn't apply to residential applications.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 20Amp 120 Volt Circuit with a Single Receptacle the NEC code states you must use a 20Amp Receptacle, not a 15Amp. For a Duplex NEC Didn’t Specify in 2020, however my County Code says you must use 20Amp Receptacles on all 20Amp 120 Circuits. Also on County Codes on all circuits, the Plug has to match the Breaker. Of course the Breaker must match or be below the wire Amp Rating.

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread has really morphed into the qualification test for Electrician's Apprentice! :D

A question I meant to ask when I first jumped in. Does the RO/DI pump run continuously, on demand, or?? Does that affect the recommendations for the original question?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, but only if it is made in the US or actually built to US code. I've seen 120V power tools made in "a country which shall not be named" that pull more than 15A but don't use the proper 5-20P plug.
I almost never buy anything not made in the US (Which is why I walk around naked most of the time) :rolleyes:

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this thread has really morphed into the qualification test for Electrician's Apprentice! :D

A question I meant to ask when I first jumped in. Does the RO/DI pump run continuously, on demand, or?? Does that affect the recommendations for the original question?
I'll open the box in a few and let you know. I just got the RO unit from Marine Depot a few minutes ago

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll open the box in a few and let you know. I just got the RO unit from Marine Depot a few minutes ago
I have a RO/DI unit with no pump, so I'm interested to know your setup.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a high pressure RO/DI Switch. They are made to plug inline from the Transformer, to the Pump. The water side goes in the RO/DI tubing after the DI and before the RO/DI discharge shut off. I set mine at 75 psig. I make batches of RO/DI water. i unplug my pump when it’s not in use. If you leave it plugged in all the time, and the water pressure drops, the pump will run dry and burn it up. They do make Low Pressure Shut off Switches, too.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low Pressure Switch, 1/4" DC24V Low Pressure Switch for Pump RO Water Fitlers Reverse Osmosis Tank 0.01MPa Action
Low Pressure switch, you’ll have to cut ONE low voltage wire from your transformer. Crimp Two Solderless Slip on fittings on the Stripped cut wire and plug into the two Flags on this switch. If you are on a well, or can loose water pressure and supply, this is a must, if you plan to leave the pump plugged in all the Time. Also this switch gets “Tee’ed In so you’ll need a RO/DI Tee fitting.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a high pressure RO/DI Switch. They are made to plug inline from the Transformer, to the Pump. The water side goes in the RO/DI tubing after the DI and before the RO/DI discharge shut off. I set mine at 75 psig. I make batches of RO/DI water. i unplug my pump when it’s not in use. If you leave it plugged in all the time, and the water pressure drops, the pump will run dry and burn it up. They do make Low Pressure Shut off Switches, too.

Why does @flyfisher2 need this?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back