Poll: Converting people to the hobby? How many?

How many people are you responsible for bringing to the "dark side"

Votes: 208 41.7%
  • 1-2

Votes: 191 38.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • 4-5

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • 6-9

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 10+ spreading love for this hobby is a full-time job!

Votes: 38 7.6%

• Total voters

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how many of you have converted friends or people local to the hobby. I feel like I am a big cheerleader for this hobby, and I am constantly (without realizing it sometimes) trying to find local people to share my passion with.

For me, it's one. @HotRockTarBaby is a local friend and he jumped in to this hobby HARD! Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, quarantine tank, rock and coral quarantines, and he learns FAST. It's nice to have someone local to help (because no one else has the patience for this hobby that isn't in it or understands), to bounce ideas off of, trade with, etc.

He's a bad influence to me too, tells me we are buying Gem tangs in December 2018!

I know some people "sell" lots of people on this hobby, how many people have you "converted?"

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a slacker and haven't converted anyone. That may change in the near future as several people have seen my system in the last few months and expressed interest.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at zero. I get to talking about it and after a few minutes its this...
ttt.gif

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on 2 :) My father and father-in-law.

My dad's a big pond guy...has had koi ponds that he's made and remade for the last 25 years. He just moved local to me, and he's trying to decide if he wants to do a pond first, or a tank...tank's probably a few years out...if he ends up doing it.

My father-in-law has never been in the hobby, but has seen pics of my old tanks, and sees my passion for it now. Especially after seeing videos of the corals from some of the guys like Battle Corals, Jason Fox, Boom Corals, Cherry Corals, and World Wide Corals...he wants to have his own slice of the ocean. Right now he's just trying to figure out what he wants, and how "big" he wants to go.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta start young I guess? Hoping my daughter will be interested in the hobby! She's only 4 months, loves the tank so far. Haha.

Yeah people just don't understand. If they are there in front of the tank they think it's cool. Just talking to them about my hobby, say at dinner or whatever, they don't really have much to say. Outsiders are more impressed and intrigued when they see my basement equipment room than anything else. "All this for that tank upstairs? How did you know how to do all this?" Very common

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta start young I guess? Hoping my daughter will be interested in the hobby! She's only 4 months, loves the tank so far. Haha.

Yeah people just don't understand. If they are there in front of the tank they think it's cool. Just talking to them about my hobby, say at dinner or whatever, they don't really have much to say. Outsiders are more impressed and intrigued when they see my basement equipment room than anything else. "All this for that tank upstairs? How did you know how to do all this?" Very common
My equipment turns people off, they say it’s too much! In truth, relative to most of you my tanks are VERY minimal!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's awesome, I remember when our toddler was just 4 months old staring at the tank. I think the true test to see if our children are into the hobby is there reaction when I ask them to change the skimmer cup;) Our 2 year old can actualy name some corals in the tank like zoas, acans, monti. Lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kind of how I got started, My parents used to set me in the crib, in front of the fresh water tank a long time ago in a far far away galaxy of childhood. It was all over from there.:D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's got those freshwater skills like no other, it just needed a dash of salt...;Hilarious;)

You know she reading this:rolleyes:;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see how many of you have converted friends or people local to the hobby. I feel like I am a big cheerleader for this hobby, and I am constantly (without realizing it sometimes) trying to find local people to share my passion with.

For me, it's one. @HotRockTarBaby is a local friend and he jumped in to this hobby HARD! Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, quarantine tank, rock and coral quarantines, and he learns FAST. It's nice to have someone local to help (because no one else has the patience for this hobby that isn't in it or understands), to bounce ideas off of, trade with, etc.

He's a bad influence to me too, tells me we are buying Gem tangs in December 2018!

I know some people "sell" lots of people on this hobby, how many people have you "converted?"
You have a nice situation. I wish my wife and I had something similar. The few people were around give us that "I have no idea what you're talking about and don't care" look.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back