"cool water" tank

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I purchased a Blue Spotted Jaw fish without doing the appropriate homework...I know, my bad. After doing more homework I think he would do ok in my tank, but not thrive.
Well, my LFS has a great deal on 32 gal Biocubes right now. My soft-hearted hubs is ok with setting him up in his own little kingdom, so I'm going to start cycling that today hopefully. I think the BSJF will be happier and we'll get to observe more of his fun behavior.

Fenner and others say the BSJF does better in cooler temps, but it doesn't sound to me like he needs a "cold water" tank with a chiller and all the works. We keep our home at 68-70 and I think my friend will be ok if I just keep the tank at room temp, no heater or chiller. That's what I'm doing now with his his hospital tank - so far, so good.

I would appreciate thoughts/input/suggestions as to how the fish will do, also any tankmates that will tolerate those conditions (fish, inverts and corals). I'm not planning to overload the tank but a few "adds" might be nice. I will add a chiller down the road if it becomes necessary.

TIA,

Cindy

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the temp in your current system? LA says the BSJF hails from the tropical eastern Pacific and does best at 72 - 78F. I've seen a few pics and videos of them in reef tanks, as well.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2971+748&pcatid=748
Thanks for the reply.

The LA info was what I based my impulse purchase on. When I got home he got sick, so I did more reading....and found articles like these:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BluSptJawSysF.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/hcs3/

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...sh-opistognathus-rosenblatti-full-article.htm

I would prefer to replicate their natural habitat a little more closely if possible, although the tank won't be as big as it could be.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have to lose the BC lid and run atleast a fan on the water surface. The combination of lid, light to close to the water and return pump mine never goes below 79. And my house is a solid 73* always

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably have to lose the BC lid and run atleast a fan on the water surface. The combination of lid, light to close to the water and return pump mine never goes below 79. And my house is a solid 73* always
Thank you i will keep that in mind and watch it while I cycle. Which lights do you have? I am purchasing the LED variety, hoping that will help.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions for tankmates that might do well in the same temps?

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know catalina gobies live in that temp, not sure about their compatibility. Margarita snails will be good for some clean up.
Thanks @LionKing. I will remeber the margarita snails when it's time for a CUC.

I have read a little but about Catalina gobies - they are beautiful! I think they're hard to keep but I'll keep reading. I appreciate your input.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this very awesome. OP buys a new tank to re-home a fish. That my friends is awesome.
Thanks...idk about "awesome".....but I'm excited to get his new home set up, we just brought the tank and stand home Saturday. Hope I can do it right. Struggling with researching tankmates that will be happy in the same temperature range.
991d57ab9374b14074be3189c1c31d75.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bsj will do best with the lid off and a fan. Their lives are significantly shortened by being kept in temps over 72.

Thanks @LionKing. I will remeber the margarita snails when it's time for a CUC.

I have read a little but about Catalina gobies - they are beautiful! I think they're hard to keep but I'll keep reading. I appreciate your input.
Catalina gobies would be an excellent tankmate if temp is below 70. What makes them difficult is the need for cooler temps.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad...I think my BSJF is experiencing a recurrence of sores. He didn't eat yesterday and when I got home he was swimming around frantically instead of hanging out in his burrow. He has white areas on the back 1/3 of both sides of his tail. It looks identical to the way it looked just before the sores appeared the first time.

I reinitiated the Furan2 and will do a second round this time. He's gotten super skinny. I hope he makes it into the home we got him [emoji29]

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adding kanaplex + metroplex to the Furan-2. Dose all three every 48 hours after a 25% water change, for 10 days.

Also, an acriflavine bath can help slow down the infection.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back