Copepods in qt tank

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt/hospital tank that I leave setup but it doesn't currently have a fish it in. Today I noticed some copepods on the glass, which surprised me because I run copper in the tank and it does have rock in it. Can copepods live in water with therapeutic levels of cupramine? I'm below theurapuetic levels currently but it hasn't been below it for very long.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have seen copepods live in therapeutic ranges of copper.

Copepods are ridiculous.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure copper does kill copepods.

Let us know once your copper is therapeutic. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You likely have low level dose . Copepods are tough but generally dont survive long term at therapeutic levels

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure copper does kill copepods.

Let us know once your copper is therapeutic. :)
There are no fish in the tank so I am actually going the other way. It won't be going back to therapuetic levels unless I decide to buy another fish. lve actually started doing close to a 10% water change each day to lower the copper levels. I keep rock in the tank so I'm trying to see if I can get all of the copper out of the system including what was absorbed by the rock. I'm considering converting it I to a frag tank if I can get all of the copper out.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely have low level dose . Copepods are tough but generally dont survive long term at therapeutic levels
I am under therapuetic dose, I'm lowering copper because I took my last fish out of qt. I was just shocked to see copepods quickly after being at a therapuetic level. Ecspecially since I haven't added anything that would introduce them to the tank since being below therapuetic levels of copper.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to add coral to that tank, you’ll need to run cuprisorb for 2 weeks after copper tests 0 to remove all the bound copper in the rocks.

Water changes is an expensive and time consuming way to do it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to add coral to that tank, you’ll need to run cuprisorb for 2 weeks after copper tests 0 to remove all the bound copper in the rocks.

Water changes is an expensive and time consuming way to do it.
Actually I'm using the water from my main tanks AWC so it's essentially free since I would've just thrown the water away anyway. I have no intentions of putting frags in there soon so I will probably just continue the water changes for months to come to see if it removes almost all of the copper.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am under therapuetic dose, I'm lowering copper because I took my last fish out of qt. I was just shocked to see copepods quickly after being at a therapuetic level. Ecspecially since I haven't added anything that would introduce them to the tank since being below therapuetic levels of copper.
Whats more puzzling is that pods need Phyto as a food source and still surviving this

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardy little buggers it's definitely interesting that they can survive even therapeutic levels

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%

Back