Copepods

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I want to add some copepods to my tank for my scooter blenny. I didn't know he was in the dragonet family when I got it. He's eating frozen foods. I just have to make sure they get down to him. Won't I lose a lot due to the filtration, and water changes? I figured i'd do my next water change first.

Eventually I'll set up a refugium. Tank is a RS Max c250 just over 6 weeks new. Tank thread in my sig. I believe.

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a thread where you take an old Tupperware container, poke some holes in it, put a piece of chaeto inside, and you have a little "safe haven" for your pods. I'm not entirely sure how effective this is, but depending on the size of your tank, I think it would help keep the population from being completely wiped out.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To insure other fish don't eat them the lights need to be out. I usually wait until the lights go out, turn off the return pump and powerheads and put the floss square on the bottom near the rocks. This allows a majority of them to get into the rocks. After about 20 min I turn the pump and powerheads back on. Some will get into the sump and should reproduce down there too.

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Refugium is best for copepods as it gives them a place to to reproduce But they do attach thesemswlves to the live rock as u enter the. In to the tank. I have seen people introduce them down a tube to the sand bed there for not allowing them to free flow and fish eating right away

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A turkey baster might work too then to squirt them into rocks. The refugium will come. I can also keep adding to the tank as I do want my scooter to eat some of them. i also have a nice pc of pukani with lots of holes so I can squirt some on there. And lots of algae for them to "clean"....

USNDoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why a turkey Baster wouldn't just push hem enough not to forcefully. You could also use the end of a turkey baster and attach a hose from Home Depot on the small tubes like four bucks for 10. I have a whole crap load of it in different sizes all over the place but it's easy and cheap. Yes also that is correct that copepods are best in a refugium and the chaeto is most commonly used and usually not always but usually does come with copepods in it

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. My aim right now is to provide some food and I know I'll have to keep replenishing until I get a refugium set up. I have a 10 gal tank and the baffles. Just need pumps and filter sock and figure out plumbing. And a shelf close to tank for it and a QT tank eventually. Waffling between a 10 gal or 20 gal ref. Not sure the baffles I bought would work for a 20g. Will do my water change and then add them at night.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back