Copper Band acting up

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and girls, ive had my copper band for about 2 years now he is a very thick boi and well taken care of but latly he has been acting off. He will just go off to one side of the tank and swim up and down at a steady pace. I have a 320 gallon system and i have recently done some changes to the tank. Added 50 lbs of dry rock, added a uv sterilizer rated for 600 gallons, a algae scrubber and a gfo reactor with in the past 2 weeks.

My copper band seems to chose the side of the tank where my algae scrubber pink light is at. Could this possibly be the problem?

He has been doing this for about a straight week now. I have tested my levels and everything is with in the norm.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn of your scrubber light (or shield it) for a day or two you probably can either reject or confirm that theory. It could be that the light create a mirror or (for the fish) a pathway out of the aquarium. But it should be easy to check.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn of your scrubber light (or shield it) for a day or two you probably can either reject or confirm that theory. It could be that the light create a mirror or (for the fish) a pathway out of the aquarium. But it should be easy to check.

Sincerely Lasse
Yes i will be doing that i hope thats the problem , then id be able to sleep better at night lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It could also be change in flow throughout the tank

ge4rhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same issue with a big blonde naso. ended up being their reflection on the glass. she thought there was a new fish and kept trying to attack herself lol. eventually after a week or two she quit and finally realized there was no other fish

OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had the same issue with a big blonde naso. ended up being their reflection on the glass. she thought there was a new fish and kept trying to attack herself lol. eventually after a week or two she quit and finally realized there was no other fish
Hope the naso is okay and i hope that is the issue with my bando.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full adult Hippo doing the same exact thing. I have a vid under this post:

I was told that this behavior is my Hippo wanting to leave the tank to go seek out a mate.

Early sign of it outgrowing the tank. Not sure if that theory is total BS or not.... but my Hippo continues to do it at a full 7 or 8in full adult size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gold3nboi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full adult Hippo doing the same exact thing. I have a vid under this post:

I was told that this behavior is my Hippo wanting to leave the tank to go seek out a mate.

Early sign of it outgrowing the tank. Not sure if that theory is total crap or not.... but my Hippo continues to do it at a full 7 or 8in full adult size.
How long has he been doing this, i just hope this is just a phase and he will later be back to swiming calmly .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back