Copper Oxide on Quartz Crystal

Clownphish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas City
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an oddly specific question, but first off, I want to put some quartz in some crevices in my aquascape, because I saw that quartz was inert in water. I think it would look interesting, so I thought I'd test it out with this piece and another piece I have before I bought more, but I noticed a green layer on the bottom of this piece. I can only assume it's copper oxide and I know that copper is dangerous to a reef's inhabitants. The question is whether or not this amount of copper oxide is dangerous (How many copper ions is dangerous? How many copper ions can be released from copper oxide in saltwater?). I have a 75 gallon FOWLR (2 clownfish) with some turbo snails.
 
The absolute safest thing to do is avoid putting terrestrial rocks in a marine aquarium. Or find quartz without the copper contamination.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new