Copper power alternatives for QT (UK)

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

Starting in the reef world and want to take the safe route, so I'm going to quarantine everything that goes into the main tank, I've been reading this forum for some time and watching plenty of videos (like the BRSTv Series for Qarantine 80/20) and everything seems sound, except the products described seem very difficult to get in the UK.
Is there any Copper power alternative sold in the UK? Would Waterlife Cuprazin work? (https://aquacadabra.com/products/waterlife-cuprazin-500ml-009-40563?variant=13288101183554)

Also, is there any alternative to formalin? the one described in BRSTv is 37% and the one available in the UK is 30% (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324190073498?var=513249529220&hash=item4b7b3bf29a:g:bQ8AAOSwU0de26jc) is still viable and safe to use?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello there!

Starting in the reef world and want to take the safe route, so I'm going to quarantine everything that goes into the main tank, I've been reading this forum for some time and watching plenty of videos (like the BRSTv Series for Qarantine 80/20) and everything seems sound, except the products described seem very difficult to get in the UK.
Is there any Copper power alternative sold in the UK? Would Waterlife Cuprazin work? (https://aquacadabra.com/products/waterlife-cuprazin-500ml-009-40563?variant=13288101183554)

Also, is there any alternative to formalin? the one described in BRSTv is 37% and the one available in the UK is 30% (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324190073498?var=513249529220&hash=item4b7b3bf29a:g:bQ8AAOSwU0de26jc) is still viable and safe to use?

Thanks!

avloclor

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

Thanks!

I can’t tell you if the Cuprazin is equivalent to copper power or not, I could find any description on the link.
The formalin is fine, the dose just needs to be adjusted to account for the difference in concentration. Here is the issue though: 100% formalin is 37% formaldehyde gas in water. People call that “37% formalin” but that is incorrect. Their 30% formalin is likely a third the concentration of 100% formalin.
How about just running the fish through 35 days of hyposalinity? That will control ich and flukes. It won’t control velvet or brooklynella though.
Jay

OP
OP
V

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!

I found avloclor as a anti malaria treatment?? Is that correct?

In regards to the hyposalinity, I'll have a look, but so far is regarding preventive quarantine when I get the fish for the first time.

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!

I found avloclor as a anti malaria treatment?? Is that correct?

In regards to the hyposalinity, I'll have a look, but so far is regarding preventive quarantine when I get the fish for the first time.

Thanks!
Hyposalinity works ok as a preventative quarantine. Coppersafe and praziquantel combined is better.
Jay

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find Copper Power on Amazon Marketplace, it ships from across the pond so it takes a couple of weeks.

Fluke Solve is also available on Amazon, and is 50% Praziquantel.

OP
OP
V

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity works ok as a preventative quarantine. Coppersafe and praziquantel combined is better.
Jay
Hi! Thanks for your reply and appreciate the feedback, on BRSTv video minute 8:50 () they mention copper levels become more toxic when Hyposalinity, so I understand you recommend me do ONLY hyposalinity? what level of salt should I mix instead of the normal 1.025 I'm aiming at my tank? May you recommend use Coppersafe and praziquantel combined with hyposalinity, may I ask what lvls of copper and salt should I aim for?
Thanks!

OP
OP
V

Vaeaelen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find Copper Power on Amazon Marketplace, it ships from across the pond so it takes a couple of weeks.

Fluke Solve is also available on Amazon, and is 50% Praziquantel.
Thanks! the Fluke Solve is really helpful, it seem to be hard to get the components of fish medicine.

Yes, I found some copper power and Praziquantel on imports, triple the price and delivery time, which may not be a problem right now when setting the tank, but you know that accidents happens from time to time and I wouldn't like to be in the position of waiting 1 month to get the medicine when it is needed straight away.

The Fluke solve you refer the one made by Vetark? do you use the dosage mentioned in the package? ( 1g / 250l)

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thanks for your reply and appreciate the feedback, on BRSTv video minute 8:50 () they mention copper levels become more toxic when Hyposalinity, so I understand you recommend me do ONLY hyposalinity? what level of salt should I mix instead of the normal 1.025 I'm aiming at my tank? May you recommend use Coppersafe and praziquantel combined with hyposalinity, may I ask what lvls of copper and salt should I aim for?
Thanks!

So - yes. ionic copper treatments are more toxic in low pH, lower salinity systems. Coppersafe is not. However, both hyposalinity and copper treatments induce some level of stress in the fish. Normally this is well tolerated (don't use hypo or copper on sharks and rays though), but doing both treatments at the same time, just doubles the stress.
The only time I would run hyposalinity and coppersafe would be in the rare instance where I was worried about flukes AND the fish had signs of Amyloodinium (velvet), as hypo does not work for that disease.

Jay

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! the Fluke Solve is really helpful, it seem to be hard to get the components of fish medicine.

Yes, I found some copper power and Praziquantel on imports, triple the price and delivery time, which may not be a problem right now when setting the tank, but you know that accidents happens from time to time and I wouldn't like to be in the position of waiting 1 month to get the medicine when it is needed straight away.

The Fluke solve you refer the one made by Vetark? do you use the dosage mentioned in the package? ( 1g / 250l)

Thanks!
Yeah, it's the one made by Vetark.

I've never actually used it, it's there just in case.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 90 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back