Copper power water change while ramp up question

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brain hurts from trying to figure out the dosing.

I have a 30 gallon tank. Based on @HotRocks article, I’m going to use 1.75ppm which translates to 1.04 ml per gallon.

Doing the math for 30 gallons I need 31.2 ml total. I’m going to ramp it for 7 days, so I need to dose 4.46ml a day.

This is where I need confirmation. If I do a water change during the first week while ramping up: let’s say the 4th day. And I do a 10 gallon water change, how do I know how much to dose in each 5 gallon bucket?

This might be so easy for you, but for me, it’s difficult.

I don’t understand the math for it, and I need to know the formula so I can do as big or small of a water change during any day of the first week.

Doing a water change after the first week when I have full dose is much easier for me to comprehend.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your level at the time of water change and I will help you get the dosing figured out for the WC. :). Just tag me.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re doing a 10 gallon water change in a 30 gallon tank, just put your dose for that day in the new water in addition to a dose equal to 1/3 of the total you have dosed so far, as that is what you will be removing when you take out 1/3 of the water. It does not matter if the copper level fluctuates a bit while you’re ramping up. Once you’re at therapeutic, you just have to make sure it stays there.

Also, as per a recent article, we are therapeutic at 2.0 copper now.

I’ll link the thread when I find it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Will do! SeaJay

If I have any more questions, I will tag you hotrocks!

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a Hanna checker?

My biggest regret getting into this hobby as a newb is that I didn’t get the Hanna checker right away. I regret that more than not quarantine my first two fish. It costs the same as one fish. I lost more than one fish trying to dose copper with the api test kit. After few months experience with the hanna, I can literally better estimate the level of copper in my tank by eyeballing the shade of purple the reagent creates than I could using the api test kit garbage. That’s not me being facetious, that’s the honest to god truth.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back