Copper Toxicity

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two quarantine tanks in process, one for inverts and one for fish, both listed at twenty gallon, both around15 gallons of water. I just started the fish quarantine tank and I mixed 3 gallons of saltwater for the fish tank—including adding Copper Power—in case I needed a quick WC. I did not, but realized I had used my mix tank heater, temperature probe, and powerhead in copper. A quick look here in r2r suggested a good rinse and it would be fine to use elsewhere. So, rinsed everything, ran it overnight in RO/DI water, rinsed again, then mixed up three gallons for my invert tank . . . and a test of the water showed 0.13ppm copper (Hanna tester).

My question: am I right in assuming I can't use that three gallons in my invert tank and that the bucket, temperature controller, 200W heating element, and powerhead are now dedicated to the fish quarantine tank?

Thanks.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two quarantine tanks in process, one for inverts and one for fish, both listed at twenty gallon, both around15 gallons of water. I just started the fish quarantine tank and I mixed 3 gallons of saltwater for the fish tank—including adding Copper Power—in case I needed a quick WC. I did not, but realized I had used my mix tank heater, temperature probe, and powerhead in copper. A quick look here in r2r suggested a good rinse and it would be fine to use elsewhere. So, rinsed everything, ran it overnight in RO/DI water, rinsed again, then mixed up three gallons for my invert tank . . . and a test of the water showed 0.13ppm copper (Hanna tester).

My question: am I right in assuming I can't use that three gallons in my invert tank and that the bucket, temperature controller, 200W heating element, and powerhead are now dedicated to the fish quarantine tank?

Thanks.

To be safe, id keep the gear dedicated to that system and not swap it around. That way , for sure you wont have issues.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And get an inkbird for the heaters in your QTs. They are only 35$ , and great protection from heater failure. I don’t trust heaters, and i only need them about 2 months out of the year

OP
OP
RickLRMS

RickLRMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And get an inkbird for the heaters in your QTs. They are only 35$ , and great protection from heater failure. I don’t trust heaters, and i only need them about 2 months out of the year
I have Inkbirds on both QT tanks as well as the Inkbird that is now dedicated to the FQT saltwater mixing process. And I'll be getting another to replace that one.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back