Copperband bored??

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year, I purchased a pre-quarantined Copperband and presented it with clams, mussels, live black worms, live white worms, masstick, LRS frenzy, etc, and it never would identify anything other than the masstick as food and it sadly perished. Although I really wanted one, I knew I'd never purchase another without being positive it would eat.

Earlier this year, while at the LFS for salt/food, I saw a nice looking CB and the LFS owner mentioned how it ate 'like a champ', so I had her feed it and sure enough, it devoured the frozen mysis. I purchased it and it successfully made it thru my quarantine process and has been in my DT for a couple months now and has eaten well (only will eat frozen, loves LRS frenzy foods) the entire time.

Now, I've noticed it's developing a habit of appearing to 'pace' back and forth across the tank (4 ft 120g reef, running for 2+ years), similar to a caged tiger. I truly believe that CBs have an above average intelligence and I'm thinking it is bored in captivity. I have 12 other fish in the DT to keep him company and they all get along. There's plenty of rock, caves, etc, for exploration.

This behavior concerns me, as I want it to be content & healthy (mentally & physically). Has anyone else witnessed this behavior with their CB? If so, did you do anything to provide something to 'entertain' your CB...anything that would reduce this behavior?

I appreciate any recommendations/advice!

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this is behavior that I only see when my fish don’t get enough sleep. Occasionally something happens and there is too much ambient light or something else happens and my fish don’t get a good nights rest. When this happens I see this type of behavior in one or more of my fish. It usually last a day or two but then goes away. I have a CBB as well and it’s usually him or my bristletooth tang that does this. Just a thought.

OP
OP
blazn

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your suggestions, I do appreciate it!!

I do like to think that it's just enjoying 'swimming laps' and getting exercise, but hate the thought of it going thru a 'caged tiger' situation.

I do feed LRS frenzy products twice daily, as the CB only eats frozen. I used to only feed frozen once per day (along with 3 auto-feedings of pellets), but with the CB only eating frozen, I've doubled up the frozen food feedings to ensure he gets enough to eat. This has only increased my NO3, so I've put a DIY denitrification reactor into production, which has kept that fully managable.

I do have plenty of rock, caves, areas to explore. Tank's been running over 2 years and about 1/3 of the rock came from my pre-existing tank, so I'd think the rock is 'live' enough. But, I do have 6 wrasses in this tank, so plenty of other hunters eating up much of what is available.

The possibility of it not getting enough sleep is an interesting thought, thank you for mentioning it! I'd think it's getting enough sleep, as my DT is in my basement and it is solidly dark throughout each night. But, it does seem like my CB is always out & about, the first fish up in the morning and last to 'go to bed' at night.

I've got a PVC feeding device I built for my initial attempt at getting a CB to feed, with many holes drilled into it so only the CB can get to the food inside. I think I'll try using that with a cube of frozen food and see if it gives him something interesting to occupy his time, at least for a bit.

BuckChoklit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a lack of sleep? My lil guy is usually happy swimming and picking around at rocks. Some nights when i come in late and flick the room lights on while hes sleeping he will begin to exhibit the same pacing behavior. Could be stress from having his sleep interrupted. Amazing little guys though. so much personality

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you watched it when it can not see you? The reason I ask is because my copper band is in a tank in our dining room . The end of the tank faces where I sit. One day I was sitting and looked over and my CBB was swimming in circles at the end of the tank. I really thought something was wrong with it. I stood up and walked to the front of the tank and it came out and started swimming normal. I figured out that when I sit where I do the fish can see me and starts swimming circles to get my attention. This happens almost every time I sit there. I guess it recognizes me as the food giver and is begging for food.

OP
OP
blazn

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleep deprivation has been mentioned a couple times. Although my DT is in my basement, which is solidly dark at night, I do have a son who's bedroom is on that level who tends to stay up a bit late (typical college student). Although I know he doesn't turn on the light in the room with the DT, it is possible that lights from an adjoining room could be distracting the CB. I've mentioned this to my son, asking for him to be aware of this and to reduce/eliminate any of that light after the tank lights go out. Can't hurt.

I don't believe my CB is doing this when he sees me, hoping to be fed. He appears to do this regardless of me being present. When he sees me and wants to be fed, he swims to the top, under the feeding portal. He'll even sometimes start swimming this way (laps) once he has had enough to eat, even though I'm still feeding at the time.

Thanks again for the responses!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back