Copperband Breathing/Gill problems

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had this copperband for a month and have noticed that it breathes rather fast and there are parts of its gills that are uncomfortably visible from an angle (in part of video)

I did not QT it because copperbands are tough to QT. It eats frozen like a champ since day 1 and is very active, no other concerns

Can someone please help with diagnosis? I don’t want to lose this amazing fish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you send a picture/video under white light? Any other fish sick? Are your parameters ok? Did the symptoms start the first day you received it - or is it worsening/

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send a picture/video under white light? Any other fish sick? Are your parameters ok? Did the symptoms start the first day you received it - or is it worsening/
Video is above. No, it is only fish that’s ‘sick’. Ick and velvet ruled out, I QT almost all my fish and I have never seen symptoms of sickness in the tank’s lifespan. All other fish are doing well. The heavy breathing was there from day 1 and haven’t improved

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video is above. No, it is only fish that’s ‘sick’. Ick and velvet ruled out, I QT almost all my fish and I have never seen symptoms of sickness in the tank’s lifespan. All other fish are doing well. The heavy breathing was there from day 1 and haven’t improved
Copperband does not do good in captivity max they do in captivity is like 2 years.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess one could wonder about flukes - or damage during transport (i.e. an ammonia burn). I'm assuming that you're saying its not improving, but also no worse?

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband does not do good in captivity max they do in captivity is like 2 years.
Yes but from my understanding it is due to feeding requirements not disease susceptibility

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess one could wonder about flukes - or damage during transport (i.e. an ammonia burn). I'm assuming that you're saying its not improving, but also no worse?
Yea it looks about the same when I got it, I did a freshwater dip a couple days ago but found no flukes, but it could still be possible. I’m thinking some sort of parasite as I can see the fleshy gills externally in some angles but not sure what

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me, seems like it is still small and small fish tend to breath a bit faster. I don’t see any cause for concern.

For what it’s worth I’ve had mine for about 3 years now, they can live long happy lives in captivity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back