Copperband Butterflies

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B Just got a copperband from the local store on Wed night. My QT has been flawless the last few months. He ate a few blackworms, but not much. The next day he was already scratching himself off the glass and rocks. I read your article about the faint dark patch. I noticed it, and it got bigger and bigger. I added some Copper and he was dead by Sunday. the dark patch spread a lot. The fish store had just gotten him last Sunday. I didn't notice the dark patch there, but maybe I didn't look close enough. Would his ribs damage his internal organs from being netted at the store?

At home I just floated him and dumped him into a net and placed him in the tank. His mouth did get stuck in the net for a few seconds but then he struggled out of it and looked fine.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't cure that dark spot as it is internal bleeding. I am not sure what causes it but it is always terminal. It could come from collection.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't cure that dark spot as it is internal bleeding. I am not sure what causes it but it is always terminal. It could come from collection.

Is it very common with copperbands?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one in a 140 for over 10+ years. He outlasted the tank and is in a holding tank now, ready to patrol my new one. :) Although I had aiptasia in my overflows and sump, I did not see any at all in my display for 10+ years that it was in the tank. There was SPS, LPS and soft corals in with him and he never bothered any of it. I did put a couple of feather dusters in at the beginning and he wiped those out pretty quick. It eats like a pig and even fights off a much larger Hippo Tang at feeding time. He eats any fresh or frozen foods, but still won't even look at pellets or flakes. I have had two CBBs over the last 20 years and the first one in another tank was about the same. He did nip a little at my derasa clam though. I have had great luck with the two that I have owned. My 2¢ anyway.

Here it is in its temporary holding tank. It smacks at the surface when it is telling me it isn't finished eating. :)

I love that video!

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard lots of success stories with Copperbands but the couple that I've tried didn't work out for me. I tried a very wide variety of forzen, dry, and live foods and various feeding contraptions but nothing worked for me. I bought a Marginalis butterfly many months ago and that has been a very different experience. Voracious eater, not shy at all, wiped out my aiptasia. The Marginalis is definitely one of my favorite fish I've ever had. I would recommend tracking down a Marginalis if you can.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B Just got a copperband from the local store on Wed night. My QT has been flawless the last few months. He ate a few blackworms, but not much. The next day he was already scratching himself off the glass and rocks. I read your article about the faint dark patch. I noticed it, and it got bigger and bigger. I added some Copper and he was dead by Sunday. the dark patch spread a lot. The fish store had just gotten him last Sunday. I didn't notice the dark patch there, but maybe I didn't look close enough. Would his ribs damage his internal organs from being netted at the store?

At home I just floated him and dumped him into a net and placed him in the tank. His mouth did get stuck in the net for a few seconds but then he struggled out of it and looked fine.
Can I get a link to that article?

Thatguy96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, it’s really a hit or miss on whether this fish will eat off all of your pesky aiptasia! Your number one goal is to buy a healthy fish that you can see eating at the LFS. I would bring it home and make sure you take it through your proper 4/6 week QT procedure! In this time, you want to make sure it’s not carrying any pests or diseases of it’s own, gets used to what you can feed it and build it’s immune system for the tank life. I struck gold with mine and this awesome little fella you see in the video below wiped out all of my aiptasia within two weeks!! And I had a lot :( but I put him in there also risking my beloved clam so that’s something else you need to consider. I keep him well fed with the reef food that I make the tank but he is constantly doing what comes natural to him which is eating aiptasia in the wild. Take your time and good luck with the process boss!

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B I have only seen a CBB on divers den one time in the last few months. I would prefer to get it from there, because I have never lost a fish from there, and they wouldn't sell it unless it was eating mysis already. Would you recommend getting one from their liveaquaria (non QT) section?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A copperband is on my short list. I need to find a good source for one. Aptaisa is getting way out of hand in my DT. Following along for sure! Great info @Paul B and nice article!

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A copperband is on my short list. I need to find a good source for one. Aptaisa is getting way out of hand in my DT. Following along for sure! Great info @Paul B and nice article!

I don't have aptaisa, I just think it's a unique looking fish. Divers den has them for $60 or $80, and they are sold in minutes when they are available. Live aquaria has medium ones from Signapore available for $49.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have aptaisa, I just think it's a unique looking fish. Divers den has them for $60 or $80, and they are sold in minutes when they are available. Live aquaria has medium ones from Signapore available for $49.
Yes I saw that the other day. Last time I got fish from them they had velvet and wiped out my tank. That was back in 2011 so maybe their practices and husbandry is different now. I’m just very weary of purchasing fish from them again.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never bought a fish on line so I would not be the best source of information about that

(I am in the hospital on heavy duty pain meds so I am not typing great. :eek:
Your writing is perfectly coherent, maybe you need some more meds! Hopefully nothing serious Paul, speedy recovery to you sir! I’m a nurse... so listen to your nurses! That is my PSA for the day.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Paul b's clip of fishing for wrasses ! LOL
Also he inspired me to break down & try my second . They keep living longer & longer when I improve their diet. Mine is so voracious I'm afraid of nuking the tank with too much food ! Now mine is doing well but not "fat" like Paul's !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have had Total success with copperbands. 3 months ago, I had an infestation in my 93 cube, and no joke to say I got a copperband in hopes he'd go to work and in 16 days, I was Aptasia free. I thought, oh great, i'll place it in the 360g and let him do the same in that tank. Kole tang hated it and beat it to death. I trapped and eliminated the Kole tang.
I got another 2 weeks ago and as usual, I got it to eat. Problem is he couldn't care less about the aptasia that is present .

Moral of my story- it is hit and miss. You'll get a winner on eating aptasia OR you will acquire one that you will need to get it to eat to survive.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back