Copperband Butterflies

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been thinking about getting one, probably for a month now. I’m having some pesky aiptasia sprout up. I know they can go either way with corals. And I’ve also read they can be picky eaters, that you really should see it eating before you buy. I personally have not seen any at the LFS I’ve been to. Is there an online source that anyone has gotten them from that you would recommend for this species? Or should I continue checking LFS, or ask them to order one?

I’ve been reading a lot on this fish, but more info anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been thinking about getting one, probably for a month now. I’m having some pesky aiptasia sprout up. I know they can go either way with corals. And I’ve also read they can be picky eaters, that you really should see it eating before you buy. I personally have not seen any at the LFS I’ve been to. Is there an online source that anyone has gotten them from that you would recommend for this species? Or should I continue checking LFS, or ask them to order one?

I’ve been reading a lot on this fish, but more info anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
Whether they go for aiptasia or not is really hit or miss, and as you know they're hard to feed. Given that risk I don't think it's a very good fish to get for that purpose. Maybe if you simply want a copperband then go with it if you're prepared to but if you simply need an aiptasia control method I wouldn't recommend the CBB

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Lemon peel angle. I seen in many places they go over aptasia. However i just put him in the tank today so we will see how it goes. I'm hoping he will not nip at the corals to much. For me the CBB had to many unknowns.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Lemon peel angle. I seen in many places they go over aptasia. However i just put him in the tank today so we will see how it goes. I'm hoping he will not nip at the corals to much. For me the CBB had to many unknowns.
I'd never put a lemon peel in a reef tank. The chances of it eventually eating all of your corals is around ~80%.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a copperband for about a month now. It got beat up pretty good by my tangs but I got lucky and it eats frozen food and it wiped out my aiptaisa. I hope it lasts a long time as they are truly great fish. Very active and curious.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd never put a lemon peel in a reef tank. The chances of it eventually eating all of your corals is around ~80%.

From what I have read it is mainly LPS, and I only have acros. Right now I don't a have any soft corals, or clams. Will just have to wait and see. Worst case scenario I will have to find a new home for him. Every fish is fish is going to come with it's own set of concerns. I know I can keep him alive and health. There may be no way to keep a CBB alive (Depending on the fish.) I wish you the best of with the CBB, I look forward to hearing if he clears of the aptasia.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried twice to adapt this fish to my tank to help control aiptasia without success. I introduced 4 peppermint shrimp to a 60 gallon tank and now all things are good. This turned out to easier and cheaper that the two fish I lost.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 140 for over 10+ years. He outlasted the tank and is in a holding tank now, ready to patrol my new one. :) Although I had aiptasia in my overflows and sump, I did not see any at all in my display for 10+ years that it was in the tank. There was SPS, LPS and soft corals in with him and he never bothered any of it. I did put a couple of feather dusters in at the beginning and he wiped those out pretty quick. It eats like a pig and even fights off a much larger Hippo Tang at feeding time. He eats any fresh or frozen foods, but still won't even look at pellets or flakes. I have had two CBBs over the last 20 years and the first one in another tank was about the same. He did nip a little at my derasa clam though. I have had great luck with the two that I have owned. My 2¢ anyway.

Here it is in its temporary holding tank. It smacks at the surface when it is telling me it isn't finished eating. :)

Last edited:

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 copperband fish at one point in time, and neither one survived more than 2 weeks. Both were eating at my lfs. Love them but will never buy another one

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if eating copperbands can still fade away a few weeks months after u add them. It's all hit or miss with this fish wether it nips at Aptasia on at ur corals. Feeding us difficult but I've had many feed. Supplementing theor food with vitamins is definitely a good idea.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one yesterday evening. Didn't eat last night (tried frozen blood worms). But this morning I threw some black worms in there and he went fast after 1 and ate it, but didn't eat the rest. Is that weird? He is swimming and searching constantly. I also added some mysis and he swam fast towards them then turned away. Is there hope since he ate the black worm? I left him alone so hopefully he eats the rest today.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't really a "preferred" store or website for getting a CBB. Australian CBB's have a reputation for being more hardy, but you will pay handsomely for the privilege. If it's at a LFS, I'd definitely have them feed it and see what kind of response you get before buying. I personally like LiveAquaria because of the 14 day guarantee. Supposedly fish are being harvested less and less with cyanide, so you can only hope that this is true. The biggest problem I see with new CBB's is that they are very thin.

I've had several CBB's over the years, including a couple that have died in my QT. Whether it was normal stress or bad harvesting techniques I'll never know. I did have one die in my DT because, IMO, and in retrospect, he wasn't getting enough food because he was outcompeted by the other fish. I plan to build a CBB feeder for the next CBB that I buy. And just so you don't think I'm a CBB killer, I had at least one (maybe more, but I can't remember) that lived for years in my DT before I had to break down the tank.

Finally, as noted above, CBB's are worm eaters. Live blackworms are by far the best food for them, and if the CBB won't eat them it generally is a goner. Although I haven't tried them yet, Paul B. suggests live whiteworms as a food. The benefit to them is that they can be raised by you/me and tossed in the tank as needed. I've heard other people use small red wiggler worms with success, and of course, live clams. Paul B. likes to freeze his clams and shave off some pieces for his CBB.

If you want to be skinny, do what skinny people do. If you want to be successful with CBB's, do what Paul B. does.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be tricky at first but once thru that they are pigs ! If it won't eat in the beginning,try shoved food into a crack in the rock or such these fish are used to getting their food from the rock so try to mimic this as much as possible . Clam,oyster ,shrimp heads.. black or white worm, mysis . I say go for it but you gotta wait for a real healthy looking,eating at the store .They all ate apastia,
Iv'e had 3 or 4 over the years . These are are my favorite fish & would be a fine addition to anybody that had at least a 4 ft tank.

Last edited:

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one a few weeks ago, and it immediately ate both frozen and pellets (Jackpot!!). He was fine on Saturday, and when I can in on Monday morning, he was almost dead from what appeared to be a bacterial infection. Finicky fish at best. I doubt I will try another anytime soon.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. I would trust a Copperband long before a Lemon Peel. @the OP if you are looking at something for aiptasia, a Matte Fish (or Matted Filefish) would be a better choice as they are easier to keep and are more prone to eating aiptasia.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There beautiful fish. I have one. There not expensive, either. Mine eats clams, frozen bloodworms and live black worms [emoji218]. I would take the chance.
You're feeding it well! [emoji846]

That is what they need to survive long term.

Ours was eating well but still getting skinnier when we lost our source of black worms for several months.

Clams and mussel make an excellent base food.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a mature reef they will find lots of meaty moesols to eat until they adjust to feeding cycle. They should be treated like manderine at first. The love amphlipods.

Once aclimated they will eat. Mine loves mysis.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people have problems with copperbands and I know one reason. Copperbands hate quarantine and if you are going to quarantine one, he will hate you. They "seem" more intelligent than most fish and if they had thumbs I think they would do well on standardized tests. :rolleyes:

They don't like to be in a small tank with PVC pipe fittings and they like to eat worms and clams. They need hiding places and don't have the largest teeth so large scary tankmates are a no no until they get large, then they can take care of themselves with their sharp dorsal fins.

They are also huge eaters but need soft food to get down that skinny throat. Clams shaved thin are perfect and they will eat loads of them. They should live about 15 years but I don't remember keeping one past about 12. Usually every 12 years I have some sort of misshap always because of my stupidity or an experiment gone wrong, like adding a manatee for a clean up crew. :eek:

Here is mine about 10 years old. I was fishing in the tank for a wrasse, and I got him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back