Copperband Butterflies

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a CB for about a year now. Purchased from LiveAquaria which I would recommend due to the 14 day guarentee and they should be eating frozen food.

I think success with this fish is many factors, many of which have been discussed. 1) the fish itself and the collection. I find they stress pretty easy and once stressed may not eat. Therefore, the fish could’ve doomed from the beginning.
2) tank design and tank mates. I think order as to when this fish is added matters. For me he was my 4th fish, the biggest, and was added at the same time as a yellow tang. They are buddies now. I think timing of the addition is key so you can work with the CB to eat without stressors from more aggressive fish and competition. Mine ate pretty well in about 2-3 days. I waited like 6 months before anything else. I now have 3 tangs, a regal, two clowns and a royal gramma. The hippo tang is a nut, but the copperband is unphased since he is well established. He’s a beast and about 6 months ago survived a battle in my tank with brooklynella.
3) food choice. I went with mysis bathed in selcon and garlic to entice him. Black worms or live brine are good too. Once eating a varied diet is ideal (brine, mysis, clam, lrs mix). This fish loves to pick at the rocks so a large tank is definitely a benefit. Most fish swim around and look like there is no rhym or reason. Not a CB. They are always focused and on a mission.
4) frequent feedings. This is important for the coral question too. This fish can waste quickly so if hungry they may pick at lps. I know mine does. I feed two to three times a day. Usually, 1 or two feeding I feed just him from a pippett. That seems frustrating and maybe unnecessary right? Well, it is a bit, but I’ve tried to reduce feeding him on three occasions now and I have two holes in a lobo and one in a $400 scoly. This is what I need to do to keep him happy. In the end he’s my most social fish, beautiful, and like a dog. He swims through my fingers and follows my hand if it’s in the tank. I really love this fish.

I hope this helps. I say go for it if you are willing to care for it in the way that is required and it deserves.

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw that the other day. Last time I got fish from them they had velvet and wiped out my tank. That was back in 2011 so maybe their practices and husbandry is different now. I’m just very weary of purchasing fish from them again.
If weary of live aquaria, I would keep an eye on NYAquatic. I just picked up a Red Sea regal from Mike about a month ago. Beautiful fish, expertly shipped, and was eating within a day. I expect the same from a CB. I know a few people that have gotten really great fish from there. Just ask for a video of the fish eating prior to purchase.

BPF42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB26B456-1168-4794-9F9D-520F3314DA59.jpeg
I have had my Copperband since March and he has been doing really well. It is amazing how fast he has grown. His favorite food is Easy Reefs Masstick that I usually feed him by hand. He also eats large Mysis shrimp. Based on my experience, the Masstick was key to my getting him to eat in my tank, although he was eating at my LFS. The picture above was soon after I added him to one of my tanks.

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cbb for almost a year now. First one I’ve ever tried in 30 years the food options are so much better than they used to be. His favorite food is LRS Reef Frenzy. He is the most aggressive eater in my tank. He bites down on food so hard you can hear a loud clicking sound. He was eating at lfs before I made the purchase. I didn’t buy him for aptasia just the potential and his beauty so I can’t comment on that aspect. He hasn’t touched any corals that I can tell but I’m pretty sure the snails that end up on their back side are in grave danger from him

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got peppermint shrimp to eat the aptasia they didn’t. So I ended up buying a copper band it also doesn’t eat aptasia but is my favorite fish. It’s always looking for food I feed lrs and I feed him clams on the half shell.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 140 for over 10+ years. He outlasted the tank and is in a holding tank now, ready to patrol my new one. :) Although I had aiptasia in my overflows and sump, I did not see any at all in my display for 10+ years that it was in the tank. There was SPS, LPS and soft corals in with him and he never bothered any of it. I did put a couple of feather dusters in at the beginning and he wiped those out pretty quick. It eats like a pig and even fights off a much larger Hippo Tang at feeding time. He eats any fresh or frozen foods, but still won't even look at pellets or flakes. I have had two CBBs over the last 20 years and the first one in another tank was about the same. He did nip a little at my derasa clam though. I have had great luck with the two that I have owned. My 2¢ anyway.

Here it is in its temporary holding tank. It smacks at the surface when it is telling me it isn't finished eating. :)

That's so cool! I love those fish...I just haven't had luck getting them going. One day they are eating and doing great, the next he would be at the bottom of my tank dead :(

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my first one, but this second one is doing great. I’m telling you fresh clams, frozen bloodworms and live black worms are sure winners to get the Copperbands eating.
And keeping them healthy!

Copperbands are not a "pellet/flake" fish.
You need to commit to feeding them excellent foods for their entire life. [emoji846]

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get blackworms here, and I'm to far inland to get frsh clams. But I could do the frozen bloodworms. I guess I could raise white worms. How about red wigglers?

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're lucky enough to come across one, try a Muellers Copperband Butterfly. Edemic to Australia, hence less prone to collecting/shipping problems. Also IMO, hardier all around with less dietary issues. Will usually eat aiptasia; I had one that would eat Majanos too. Their biggest downside is that they aren't offered for sale very often and when they are, they're usually more expensive than "traditional" Copperbands.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get blackworms here, and I'm to far inland to get frsh clams. But I could do the frozen bloodworms. I guess I could raise white worms. How about red wigglers?
You can get black worms online from California, delivered overnight. The really is nothing as effective at getting a cbb to eat than live black worms.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Klein’s , teardrop and saddleback butterfly fish eat aptasia like candy. My sump is full of it. I take a rock loaded with it and add it to the tank and they clean it in hours.
Butterflies are very prone to bacterial infections so watch then closely and treat accordingly.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get black worms online from California, delivered overnight. The really is nothing as effective at getting a cbb to eat than live black worms.
How long can you keep them alive and what do you have to do to keep them?

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a copperband butterfly 2-3 months ago. A month before I got one, I set up a qt tank. The qt tank had a piece of live rock and a bunch of cheato algae. Within that 1 month time period the tank was cycled and there was pods all over the place.
I picked out a healthy one and put him in. He started pecking immediately. I got a small porous rock, and filled the holes with different frozen foods. This mimics the butterfly' s natural feeding and he tried out the frozen food that was slowly coming out of the rock. After 1 month of trying different live foods and frozen, he slowly got the hang of it and ate everything that came into the tank. Then I started prazi and copper treatment and he went into the dt.
20181107_171915.jpg

Last edited:

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of the place where you get them?
Aquatic Farms. You can get a keeper for them, or make your own. I keep them in the fridge, they will stay alive for over a month that way but you have to change the water that they sit in every couple of days. There are a few threads on R2R on the subject, search for “black worms” ....

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Farms. You can get a keeper for them, or make your own. I keep them in the fridge, they will stay alive for over a month that way but you have to change the water that they sit in every couple of days. There are a few threads on R2R on the subject, search for “black worms” ....
Thanks!!

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1EBB166F-B7AE-41D8-B43A-957A97B79B49.jpeg
A copperband is on my short list. I need to find a good source for one. Aptaisa is getting way out of hand in my DT. Following along for sure! Great info @Paul B and nice article!
On Friday,
This little guy (3”) came shipped from Aquarium Creations in ft Lauderdale, FL, eating frozen brine and begging at the glass for more snacks within first hour of Qt. (Introducing frozen black worms and fresh clams today.) Tom promised it would be eating and in good shape. I will buy from AC again.
This little one is a dream fish!
7EAD43E6-C58C-4D1D-A843-64A980EA7D38.jpeg

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! I can't wait to get one. I bought my sisters 125 tank, and will have to get it going good first.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DB26B456-1168-4794-9F9D-520F3314DA59.jpeg
I have had my Copperband since March and he has been doing really well. It is amazing how fast he has grown. His favorite food is Easy Reefs Masstick that I usually feed him by hand. He also eats large Mysis shrimp. Based on my experience, the Masstick was key to my getting him to eat in my tank, although he was eating at my LFS. The picture above was soon after I added him to one of my tanks.
I love him!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back