Copperbands are plain stupid fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 2 copperbands in the last couple of years. I was gifted one that wouldn't eat no matter what I fed it and I tried everything. The second one decided to wedge itself into a barnacle shell probably trying to catch a pod it had seen and by the time I was able to release it, it was too far gone and never recovered.

I have asked LFSs to feed their copperband and watched as they turned their noses up.at food offered so of course I walk away. However it' was a matter of 3rd time lucky as I bought a very nice specimen yesterday that was eating frozen brine shrimp in the LFS. I hope like one I had many years ago this one will.also eat other things and like a pig.

I would advise if looking to buy a copperband more than most fish you watch closely and ensure it feeds well before purchase. Even when feeding they can be slow to go to the food allowing other fish to take food in front of them before deciding to eat it.
I will keep my fingers cross this one will not only feed but feed well taking food immediately it is fed. They also need a little and often, mine will be fed 4 times a day as well as it browsing on pods.

My new copperband as nice a one as I have seen for sale.
20220409_180102.jpg

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new imported copperband does not eat free floating food.
It just eat from surfaces. Try to give it a small mussel on its shell.
It will take a few weeks for it to learn from other fishes what free floating food is.
Some times they eat nori from a food clip before they eat artemia or mysis.
But when they have started to eat that they stop eating nori - not very tasty.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new imported copperband does not eat free floating food.
It just eat from surfaces. Try to give it a small mussel on its shell.
It will take a few weeks for it to learn from other fishes what free floating food is.
Some times they eat nori from a food clip before they eat artemia or mysis.
But when they have started to eat that they stop eating nori - not very tasty.

You misunderstand me. I have had maybe 6 copperbands in my 40 years and am well conversed in feeding requirements I can assure you. However, once in a while for whatever reason one can simply refuse to eat. My other 5 either fed no problem or I managed to get them feeding using any number of tricks.

How about this, just one of my feeding tricks from a couple of years ago.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy has been with me for 2 years now, my second attempt as the first one was killed by a zebrasoma scopas. This guy ate no problem and is actually my most aggressive fish in the tank (More aggressive than a Ctenochaetus binotatus). No tricks, just simply putting him into a 4 month old tank with 3 other peaceful fish to help him settle.

Do I recommend this fish for beginners? No, but it's certainly not as difficult as other fish. purely just as with every other fish, some can't settle into captivity as well as other might. I don't think these animals deserve the bad reputation they have, purely because every other fish is like the CBB. We just never see how many of each of them don't make it through to our stores. the "easier" animals like clownfish, tangs, blennies, gobies, wrasses ect... probably have a bunch die through stress of shipping. Just as with CBBs, they usually die due to starvation which can be caused by the stress of shipping to our LFS's.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
refusing foods could be a sign of “wasting disease” … the fishes gut gets empty causing a cascade of issues….

maybe try posing the issue with the smart folks over at the disease forums, see if they have recommendations for getting a starving fish to eat…
…how fat is its forehead and area between ventral sand tail ( belly) ?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @atoll - first, big thank you for your support on helping me understand & install my Oxydator! It’s made a tremendous difference in my aquarium’s health.

Second - I understand your frustrations with copperbands. They are beautiful, friendly, & inquisitive fish WHEN they get eating and established. Getting them to that point is always a challenge. Your numerous CBs over the years shows your love of the fish. I completely understand your frustrations!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @atoll - first, big thank you for your support on helping me understand & install my Oxydator! It’s made a tremendous difference in my aquarium’s health.

Second - I understand your frustrations with copperbands. They are beautiful, friendly, & inquisitive fish WHEN they get eating and established. Getting them to that point is always a challenge. Your numerous CBs over the years shows your love of the fish. I completely understand your frustrations!
Thanks, glad you and your aquarium are noticing the difference an Oxydator can make.
All but one CB was a real problem and succumb to starvation. The rest were fine once feeding well. Unfortunately due to moving a house a few
times I sold my fish and tanks on. However I did keep one for many years.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always to the understanding brine was not a nutrient rich food . But in the case of cbb
Being picky eaters . Ensuring the tank is mature and stocked heavily with pods
I’ve only ever tried one cbb years ago and failed .
And very reserved in trying another .

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always to the understanding brine was not a nutrient rich food . But in the case of cbb
exactly right, in of themselves; junk food. They gotta be loaded with phyto or something for a few hours prior…
but the reason for using them is the motion of live food is a feeding trigger. But I can see a CBB’s with its mouth/ shape and feeding mode not responding as fast. Just odd it’s has no response whatsoever. I’ve used live brine for picky eaters and seems to always work (I got 2 Idols now)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live brine is only to get a feeding response only, then you add frozen brine with the live and then mix them with other foods.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a copperband and it makes me stress lol he’s eating good but not what I feed , constantly picking rocks / feather dusters. Hoping the other fish teach him

Attachments

• 2F01D5FC-B934-4AAF-8EF4-12B6FF706B44.jpeg
    2F01D5FC-B934-4AAF-8EF4-12B6FF706B44.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 39

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always loved all butterflyfish .
the first impulse fish purchase was a blue spot ( impossible to keep in captivity )

Klein was infested with ich only a day after adding to my system .

red tail didn’t eat

raccoon hid behind the rocks and never ate

Fast forward to present day . If I ever choose to do a fish only system I would consider trying butterflyfish again

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine is an eating machine as is my Kleini?

Looking at your pic- are you aware yours has Ich? May be reason not eating. It has dots all over

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost 2 copperbands in the last couple of years. I was gifted one that wouldn't eat no matter what I fed it and I tried everything. The second one decided to wedge itself into a barnacle shell probably trying to catch a pod it had seen and by the time I was able to release it, it was too far gone and never recovered.

I have asked LFSs to feed their copperband and watched as they turned their noses up.at food offered so of course I walk away. However it' was a matter of 3rd time lucky as I bought a very nice specimen yesterday that was eating frozen brine shrimp in the LFS. I hope like one I had many years ago this one will.also eat other things and like a pig.

I would advise if looking to buy a copperband more than most fish you watch closely and ensure it feeds well before purchase. Even when feeding they can be slow to go to the food allowing other fish to take food in front of them before deciding to eat it.
I will keep my fingers cross this one will not only feed but feed well taking food immediately it is fed. They also need a little and often, mine will be fed 4 times a day as well as it browsing on pods.

My new copperband as nice a one as I have seen for sale.
20220409_180102.jpg
Having conspecifics that are feeding makes a big difference in butterfly world.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back