*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's basically a shorter-timed version of the ULR phosphorous step wise, which was already easy to use. And I forget who, but someone earlier mentioned these little plastic funnels for perfume bottles, they make adding the reagent SUPER easy (just did it on ULR P), so thanks for that too!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are y’all ordering direct from Hanna’s website or a third party vendor?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are y’all ordering direct from Hanna’s website or a third party vendor?

Direct. But it may be easier to get from a third party at this rate lol.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the hi792 and 96702? Besides the super large price tag?

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing work, guys! I’m chomping at the bit waiting for mine to arrive! I’ve been using my ULR phosphorus checker in the meantime for practice [emoji14][emoji14] (since I don’t actually use it anymore as I just have a fowlr at the moment)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the hi792 and 96702? Besides the super large price tag?

I am not sure, after looking at it, looks to be the same type of tester. Still portable. But not a "pocket" model.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suggestion for the testing procedure. Whenever a Hanna checker wants a baseline reading, I use 2 cuvettes. One with just tank water and one with reagent. This way you don’t have to worry about the tester timing out.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suggestion for the testing procedure. Whenever a Hanna checker wants a baseline reading, I use 2 cuvettes. One with just tank water and one with reagent. This way you don’t have to worry about the tester timing out.
Hanna has specifically told me not to do that, as variations in the glass between cuvettes can throw off tests, especially the Phosphorus ULR. Use the same cuvette, and point the 10ml label to the front each time for as little variance as possible.

* I should add, this was in response to me inquiring as what could be causing my ULR Phosphorous to be erratic between multiple tests in a row. Once I resumed testing using a single cuvette start to finish, the problem solved itself.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna has specifically told me not to do that, as variations in the glass between cuvettes can throw off tests, especially the Phosphorus ULR. Use the same cuvette, and point the 10ml label to the front each time for as little variance as possible.
Was going to say the same thing. I had problems using the ULR tester until I figured out that I not only had to use the same cuvette, but that it had to be inserted the exact same way each time.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to say the same thing. I had problems using the ULR tester until I figured out that I not only had to use the same cuvette, but that it had to be inserted the exact same way each time.

Makes complete sense to me. I also have never had it time out on me. You have ten minutes each time you press the button before it will shutdown on you.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

* I should add, this was in response to me inquiring as what could be causing my ULR Phosphorous to be erratic between multiple tests in a row. Once I resumed testing using a single cuvette start to finish, the problem solved itself.
That makes a lot of sense. In theory the suggestion to use 2 cuvettes is great, but the level of precision in this particular type of testing means any differences could lead to aberrant results.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your interest in our products and for testing with Hanna! We will be revisiting the use of our HI702 Copper Checker for use in seawater in the coming weeks. We appreciate the support of the Reef2Reef community.

Also visit our blog to make sure you are following our 8 checker best practices such as indexing the cuvette in the same position every time, removing any air bubbles, finger prints or smudges and using separate pipettes/syringes for freshwater and saltwater.

If you have any questions or comments with Hanna products, please contact [email protected] or call 877-MY-HANNA. We value our customers and strive provide the best experience for your testing needs.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your interest in our products and for testing with Hanna! We will be revisiting the use of our HI702 Copper Checker for use in seawater in the coming weeks. We appreciate the support of the Reef2Reef community.

Also visit our blog to make sure you are following our 8 checker best practices such as indexing the cuvette in the same position every time, removing any air bubbles, finger prints or smudges and using separate pipettes/syringes for freshwater and saltwater.

If you have any questions or comments with Hanna products, please contact [email protected] or call 877-MY-HANNA. We value our customers and strive provide the best experience for your testing needs.

What's the difference between HI702 and the 96702?

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between HI702 and the 96702?
The HI96702 has a more advanced optical system with higher precision.
The HI96702 can be calibrated, the HI702 cannot be calibrated
The HI96702 has a Indexing indent on meter - The meter has an indent that allows for a lock and key fit with the cuvette cap. This ensures that the cuvette is indexed consistently (same position) in order to maintain the same path length for accurate results.
The HI96702 has Cooling Lamp Indicator - It is necessary to maintain a consistent temperature of the optical components in order to maintain a narrow wavelength band of light. This photometer has a cooling lamp indicator that is displayed for a short period of time before each measurement in order to allow the components to cool and obtain the highest accuracy possible.
The HI96702 has Battery status indicator- The instrument has a battery level indicator to display reaming life

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Hey, thanks for coming in here and helping us! We appreciate your assistance and diligence. It looks like you have phenomenal products and clearly the support wherewithal.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense. In theory the suggestion to use 2 cuvettes is great, but the level of precision in this particular type of testing means any differences could lead to aberrant results.
Interestingly, we did this for giggles yesterday, and the result came out the same. However:

1) the flasks are both very new and likely not stained from use so they’re more analogous than in most cases
2) we know this isn’t best practice for the reasons outlined above and per Hanna’s instructions.

Interestingly, the result was still the same .06 baseline as when we did it properly without cutting corners. As a side note, it seems the “high range model” is pretty consistent even at low ranges, which was really the point of this statement. We yielded the same .06 result for all 3 tests with zero variance.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back