COR 20 Driver NOT GETTING POWER??

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

Curious if anyone has had the COR 20 Driver piece not have power. I’m wondering if that unit went bad or if’s the 1 link power supply?

Has anyone ever used another Power supply that has 4.8 Amps with 100-240Volt?

MK300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

Curious if anyone has had the COR 20 Driver piece not have power. I’m wondering if that unit went bad or if’s the 1 link power supply?

Has anyone ever used another Power supply that has 4.8 Amps with 100-240Volt?
I just turned mine off for maintenance and it would not turn back on. Replaced power supply with one from my spare pump. Started right up! This is not an uncommon issue!

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned mine off for maintenance and it would not turn back on. Replaced power supply with one from my spare pump. Started right up! This is not an uncommon issue!
Do you know what a good replacement one that fits is? The one I received from Amazon plug was to large to fit the Cor20!?

really appreciate your help!

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same issue, after some electrical works at home and an associated power outage the COR 20 transformer failed on startup, probably because it got a small power surge that fried a $2 internal component. Happily I had a spare on hand. $100 later I have a replacement (genuine) transformer.

I also couldn’t find one on eBay or Amazon with the same plug. I’ve kept the old transformer and plan to crack it open to see if I can identify and replace the failed component. If not I’ll cannibalise the cord and if needed chop and use it to change the cord of a replacement unbranded transformer to give me a cheaper spare. Heatshrink and solder work wonders.

The other thing I did was to take my COR 20 off the mains supply and power it via my UPS, so that it gets a better quality filtered power supply. That should reduce the risk of power surge frying it.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same issue, after some electrical works at home and an associated power outage the COR 20 transformer failed on startup, probably because it got a small power surge that fried a $2 internal component. Happily I had a spare on hand. $100 later I have a replacement (genuine) transformer.

I also couldn’t find one on eBay or Amazon with the same plug. I’ve kept the old transformer and plan to crack it open to see if I can identify and replace the failed component. If not I’ll cannibalise the cord and if needed chop and use it to change the cord of a replacement unbranded transformer to give me a cheaper spare. Heatshrink and solder work wonders.

The other thing I did was to take my COR 20 off the mains supply and power it via my UPS, so that it gets a better quality filtered power supply. That should reduce the risk of power surge frying it.
One of my 2 Cor 20 blew a power supply. They are both plugged directly into a wall socket. Reading your post I may plug both into a surge suppressor from now on. Are these power supplies extraordinarily fragile?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on feedback from my LFS this week, it sounds like they are somewhat sensitive. They are regularly supplying replacements, mentioned one customer that has been through 6 in a few years - that customer now apparently keeps two spares on hand.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on feedback from my LFS this week, it sounds like they are somewhat sensitive. They are regularly supplying replacements, mentioned one customer that has been through 6 in a few years - that customer now apparently keeps two spares on hand.
They sent me one with no hassle from Neptune Apex. Sounds like it’s not the most quality product. At least I will have a back up now!

NickE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this 2 days before going on vacation (perfect timing right?). My problem was the actual neptune energy bar outlet went bad. I found this out after I bought a new power supply and ripped half my plumbing and electrical cables apart haha.

I got this powersupply and these 5.5mm to 3.5mm adapters off amazon and they work with the Cor-20. You can spend the extra $20 for the Neptune power supply if you want piece of mind and one piece but next day shipping is why I went this route. I saved it for when the power supply eventually fails.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 63 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back