Cor 20 plumbing question

millticket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a Cor 20 to replace my ehiem 1260 on my return line for my 40B. I also run a small external refugium (10 gallon tank) with a maxi-jet. My current setup is a 3/4 barb that connects to the barb on my ehiem 1260 (same setup on my external refugium). My question is can I insert a 1/2 tee fitting that will accommodate the tubing to plumb in the main return and refugium without any huge loss to flow? I have a ball valve on the refugium to control the flow (currently it's wide open for the maxi jet).

Or should i just leave well enough alone and stick with the COR 20 as the replacement to the eheim?

B4E1B45A-E61B-4E15-83E5-7B1A069B3828_1_105_c.jpeg

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will reduce flow. How much is unknown unless you have flow sensors to test. Any turn or friction will reduce the flow. Probably not enough for you to care about. But very important to some reeefers

OP
OP
millticket

millticket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will reduce flow. How much is unknown unless you have flow sensors to test. Any turn or friction will reduce the flow. Probably not enough for you to care about. But very important to some reeefers
Ok so dumb question here... the cor 20 has a much higher max output than the eheim 1260 so that should all work out to my favor correct?

I mean I couldn’t pass up the price due to the Black Friday pricing error and eventually I’ll upgrade to a larger tank but for now for my needs on my 40b this is way overkill correct?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The COR 20 is definitely a big pump for your application, but I would think it would work to feed your DT and fuge. If the plumbing to your DT is 3/4 inch and the plumbing to the fuge is 1/2 inch, what I would do is use a 1 inch tube or pipe from the pump to a 1 inch tee, then reduce one side of that to 3/4 for the DT and the other side to 1/2 for the fuge. You’ll probably still be running the pump at a pretty low speed.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so dumb question here... the cor 20 has a much higher max output than the eheim 1260 so that should all work out to my favor correct?

I mean I couldn’t pass up the price due to the Black Friday pricing error and eventually I’ll upgrade to a larger tank but for now for my needs on my 40b this is way overkill correct?
You are overkill but that’s okay

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The COR 20 is definitely a big pump for your application, but I would think it would work to feed your DT and fuge. If the plumbing to your DT is 3/4 inch and the plumbing to the fuge is 1/2 inch, what I would do is use a 1 inch tube or pipe from the pump to a 1 inch tee, then reduce one side of that to 3/4 for the DT and the other side to 1/2 for the fuge. You’ll probably still be running the pump at a pretty low speed.
This is the right way. You may want a valve to adjust the water pressure on one side. You can use the pump speed to adjust for the other side.

OP
OP
millticket

millticket

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone this helps immensely. Considering my next upgrade will either be a 150 or 180 gallon I’m glad I jumped on getting this pump for 279, simply too good not to get and sounds like I’ll have to dial it way back!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back