Coral covering/encrusting novelty objects - IDEAS?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who out there has a cool looking object which they have grown zoas or other corals on? I'm thinking of trying an encrusting monti or zoa covered skull like this.

1633349083013.png

Anyone else care to share what novelty object they have grown coral on??

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who out there has a cool looking object which they have grown zoas or other corals on? I'm thinking of trying an encrusting monti or zoa covered skull like this.

1633349083013.png

Cool... for Halloween.

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a small show in Daytona this past weekend. One guy 3D printed alot of skulls for encrusting. Definitely cool idea but I'm going for a more natural look. I did see one tank with a Darth Vader.

My dream tank idea has always been to CnC a massive rock sculpture to resemble a shipwreck. But seeing this has got me thinking of 3d printing a smaller ship wreck structure and encrusting it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I genuinely kinda want to get a leptoseris to grow over a squirrel skull. I've got a clean squirrel skull. I'm just trying to decide if it would look too weird and artificially added.

Unless it was a pretty large skull, you'd get the best results out of an encrusting monti, I think. Unless it was tiny zoas under bright light, they'd probably obscure the shape and turn it into kind of a head-shaped blob.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyphastrea is also a good carpeting option. I have seen some neat stuff using this concept.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy from my local club had an Easter island head that he grew green digi on as hair! This sort of thing really isn't my cup of tea, but I thought it looked cool!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not big on having things that aren't natural looking in a reef tank, with that said, a few months ago I ordered some frag plugs and the company sent me skull in error. Now it was more trouble than it was worth to send it back. Now fast forward a few months and the skull is sitting on my shelf in the basement and I have an entrusting coral looking for a home. Hmmmmm guess what, I now have an unwanted skull in my tank with a frag plug sticking out of its head.

Let's see what happens. It looks so weird. Lol

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I'm genuinely considering if I could integrate some bones into my reef in a way that would look reasonable. Big fish vertebrae, maybe. Entirely reasonable for fish vertebrae to be on a reef.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1633349083013.png

Great idea! Especially for halloween!

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure whatever you use it is safe and does not leach unwanted contaminants that may be harmful to your system.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, those bottles are cool! I tried to do something like that in a freshwater tank once, with a big ol' juice jug, but it just doesn't look the same. I should get ahold of a tiny bottle or two and try them out in here.

I'd worry a bit about antique bottles, though. Some of those can potentially leach non-food-safe substances, which would also be non-reef-safe. As a general rule, if you can store a wet food or liquid in a container long-term, that container should be reef-safe. I'd have to learn about what kinds of antique glass are safe.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1633349083013.png

Hey! That's my skull!

Here is an updated Pic:

1635268533291.png

Here is another I am "working on"

1635268582333.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back