Coral Dip Guide

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Coral RX – General, 1.25ml/cup or 20ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Fragrecover – General, 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, 5 minutes.

Koral MD PRO – General, 0.9375ml/cup or 1.5ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

TM Pro-Coral Cure – Iodine based, 1ml/200ml, 10-15 minutes.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Other use dips not based off of the label.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.
A question on hydrogen peroxide for algea removal (dipping and dosing), could you suggest any specific brands?
For the case of dosing directly into the tank, will it not harm other creatures in the tank?
Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API Marine Melafix - General (Melaleuca tea-tree), 2.5ml/cup, 3-5 minutes. A bacterial infection treatment also good for removing worms, to include bristleworms and flatworms.
Won't it kill other good worms too?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started about two weeks ago dosing my tank and sump with Hydrogen .. I have a large tank so my addition of 40ml daily is not a lot. I actually spray it on where I see algae growing on the rims of my sump.. I inject it also into the air intake on my venturies on my skimmer. I am still thinking this through if it is helping my system. I have not have any bad side effects.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the solution in the OP post
Another I'm using:
Coral DIP (NTLabs - 30ml) General: 2-3 pipette per 1L - 5-1minutes (soft, LPS and SPS corals)
Alternative method:
Dettol - Antiseptic (Chloroxylenol 4.8% Based) 0.5ml/L or 2ml/G for 5-7 maximum 10 minutes work for some eggs deposit on the flesh and skeleton. Also is very good if there is some dirt, debris or other unwanted deposits which can be easy brushed off of the corals. easy remove diatoms (make them wash away easy w/o traces)
- leather corals - 5 - 7 min. max
- LPS - 5 - 7, max 9 (haven't test on plate-Fungia coral)
- SPS 5-7min, max 10 (you can gently brush the non fleshy area) all will fall off easy
@SHNICI It is interesting you mentioned "Dettol - Antiseptic (Chloroxylenol 4.8% Based)" which is a common multipurpose household antiseptic.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't it kill other good worms too?
Possibly but those directions are just for dipping your coral frags. I doubt you will have that many good worms that will come with a frag to worry about it. Killing a good worm or two is better than getting a single bad worm into your tank.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question on hydrogen peroxide for algea removal (dipping and dosing), could you suggest any specific brands?
For the case of dosing directly into the tank, will it not harm other creatures in the tank?
Thanks.
Many people have used many different brands to dip coral so no specific brand is better than others. Dosing peroxide to your display tank is a very in depth conversation. There are many threads here to reference that information. That goes well beyond this thread.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly but those directions are just for dipping your coral frags. I doubt you will have that many good worms that will come with a frag to worry about it. Killing a good worm or two is better than getting a single bad worm into your tank.
Noted and you are right. Thanks.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the solution in the OP post
Another I'm using:
Coral DIP (NTLabs - 30ml) General: 2-3 pipette per 1L - 5-1minutes (soft, LPS and SPS corals)
Alternative method:
Dettol - Antiseptic (Chloroxylenol 4.8% Based) 0.5ml/L or 2ml/G for 5-7 maximum 10 minutes work for some eggs deposit on the flesh and skeleton. Also is very good if there is some dirt, debris or other unwanted deposits which can be easy brushed off of the corals. easy remove diatoms (make them wash away easy w/o traces)
- leather corals - 5 - 7 min. max
- LPS - 5 - 7, max 9 (haven't test on plate-Fungia coral)
- SPS 5-7min, max 10 (you can gently brush the non fleshy area) all will fall off easy
@SHNICI, any suggestions/guidelines on dettol dip for mashroom corals?
Any experience of dipping fish in dettol?
Thanks.

Tony11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Coral RX – General, 1.25ml/cup or 20ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Fragrecover – General, 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, 5 minutes.

Koral MD PRO – General, 0.9375ml/cup or 1.5ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

TM Pro-Coral Cure – Iodine based, 1ml/200ml, 10-15 minutes.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Other use dips not based off of the label.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.
I have been doing this for awhile and I am new to the forum. Here at the local pet stores they and myself are using marine melafix. I do not know about using it on sps? It does give directions as a dip.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing this for awhile and I am new to the forum. Here at the local pet stores they and myself are using marine melafix. I do not know about using it on sps? It does give directions as a dip.
Great, i have seen Melafix in stores here. Thanks.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See post 11 of this thread for Melafix dosing instructions.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a frag rack last year that was doing well, but took a turn for the worst recently when every coral pest imaginable started demolishing my frags. Everything from nudibranchs and zoa eating bugs to little millipede looking things that run fast and are attacking my torch. The only ones that seem unaffected are my flower pots, fireworks polyps, GSP, Paly. grandis and Ricordea. I have a couple questions:

1. Would coral Rx and Beyer be redundant, or should I use both to be safe. If so, how far apart should I spread the treatments?

2. Is there a certain fallow period to leave a tank without corals such that all coral pests will die out?

Last edited:

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post a little info on Bayer Advanced Complete as a coral dip. The product contains a chemical, Imidacloprid, that attacks the central nervous system. Any creature without a central nervous system, such as Corals, have nothing to worry about.
l
Interesting... so, imidacloprid only attacks the central nervous system of insects like animals right? It will not harm other animals? What about good worms?

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... so, imidacloprid only attacks the central nervous system of insects like animals right? It will not harm other animals? What about good worms?

It's not intended as a tank treatment. You treat the frags, then rinse them before putting them in the tank. There aren't likely any beneficial worms on frags.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started a frag rack last year that was doing well, but took a turn for the worst recently when every coral pest imaginable started demolishing my frags. Everything from nudibranchs and zoa eating bugs to little millipede looking things that run fast and are attacking my torch. The only ones that seem unaffected are my flower pots, fireworks polyps, GSP, Paly. grandis and Ricordea. I have a couple questions:

1. Would coral Rx and Beyer be redundant, or should I use both to be safe. If so, how far apart should I spread the treatments?

2. Is there a certain fallow period to leave a tank without corals such that all coral pests will die out?
You have some good questions.

1. Yes they probably are redundant but many people dont just have a one step dip treatment. You can dip them back to back with a rinse or two between them. For heavy infestations some start with daily targeted dipping then move to weekly dipping until all signs of the pests are gone. Dip as often as feasible without stressing the coral to much.

2. I do not know. There are some pests that are specialized feeders such as nudibranchs that will die off without their specific food source. Other pests I am not so sure about, and especially how long it would take for them to die without the coral to feed on. At least with the coral in the tank the pests will be attracted to it and you can dip and kill them.

Maybe others could chime in with their experience with multi-step dipping practices and/or whether reef bugs will die off without coral.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything with a central nervous system is dead during a standard dip or bath with Bayer. Good worms, bad worms, all worms. The last time I dipped a coral, two little striped sand stars were found in the mix afterwards. Sad part is, I really wanted those stars.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything with a central nervous system is dead during a standard dip or bath with Bayer. Good worms, bad worms, all worms. The last time I dipped a coral, two little striped sand stars were found in the mix afterwards. Sad part is, I really wanted those stars.
Noted, thanks. Oh so sad.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting a bryopsis invasion for several months. I've come to the conclusion it was introduced on a coral fragment I purchased online. I've recently dosed the tank withe reef Flux (fluconazole) and it appears to be working.

My question is in addition to dips, should purchased frags be quarantined and treated with fluconazole or any other meds before introduction into the display tank?

Back