Coral Dip Guide

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isnt Maracyn 2 used as a Zoa dip to kill POX.. ? or was that Furan? I used one or the other a year ago and it worked great.. but dont remember which.. I know I looked it up on R2R to find out..

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few comments on several posts but am not quoting any.

1. Peroxide brand is not important.. Look for % (percent concentrations.. like 3%, etc. 3% of brand X is the same as 3% of brand Y.

2. A central nervous system is not required for Bayer to kill. Photoreceptors can also be effected if dipped too long.. An example is a flowerpot corals reaction to light blocking movement above it. though it reacts more to mild touch. same with Zoas. A nerve is a nerve.. there is more than one kind. (did that sound smart arsey?) Corals with a feeding response require something to know food is touching it.. Does that explain what I am saying?

3. Antibacterials have a "length of time of contact" to be effective, some are better as a liquid, like Lugols, which can be used as a dip.., This is much less effective against virulent (read as bad) infections than preventing infection from fraging.

One thing I see missing is more specific parasitic dips.. I know some are "Combo" type dips.. I would be interested in fish dips as well. If that is relevant to this discussion.

KomsCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use multiple dips? Like one to focus on pests mainly and a different to focus on bacteria and harmful microbial ? If so which ones?
Sometimes I dip coral and don’t see any pests and look at night and still don’t see any pests even with stable parameters and ive always been curious if it was a bacterial infection or something upsetting acros that seemingly aren’t being bothered by bugs or worms

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Coral RX – General, 1.25ml/cup or 20ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Fragrecover – General, 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, 5 minutes.

Koral MD PRO – General, 0.9375ml/cup or 1.5ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

TM Pro-Coral Cure – Iodine based, 1ml/200ml, 10-15 minutes.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Other use dips not based off of the label.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.
Thanks for the assembly. I've got it bookmarked now.

Being a noob, I need some clarification. It appears that different dips are for different goals. My question is do we need to make a choice, or can different dips be applied in quick succession or together? And what about repeating dips? Any value there?

Also, I've been told that we don't want to dip certain corals, such as pulsing Xenias. So how does one avoid hitchhikers with these corals?

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being a noob, I need some clarification. It appears that different dips are for different goals. My question is do we need to make a choice, or can different dips be applied in quick succession or together? And what about repeating dips? Any value there?

Also, I've been told that we don't want to dip certain corals, such as pulsing Xenias. So how does one avoid hitchhikers with these corals?
It is common for people to use multiple dips is succession to eliminate different pests or just for piece of mind.
Repeating dips is common if you repeat weekly for something like flatworms. No need to repeat the same dip in quick succession, just keep it in the dip longer.
Pulsing xenia or any other leather is usually dipped with an iodine based dip. Never heard of not dipping xenia. Xenia is like a weed for most people. Doubt a iodine dip would kill it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use multiple dips? Like one to focus on pests mainly and a different to focus on bacteria and harmful microbial ? If so which ones?
Sometimes I dip coral and don’t see any pests and look at night and still don’t see any pests even with stable parameters and ive always been curious if it was a bacterial infection or something upsetting acros that seemingly aren’t being bothered by bugs or worms

I won't pretend I have a comprehensive answer to these similar queries, but here is a start, and something not really described by the OP. The OP does categorize the treatments roughly by composition (Iodine, extracts, other) but I tend to think of these treatments by the common predator for my given host coral. Acropora and montipora for example host very different predator parasites. I would not expect to find a monti-eating nudibranch on an acropora, nor an AEFW on a montipora piece.

I dip acropora in KCl (potassium chloride) and it kills acro eating flatworms dead dead dead.
I dip montipora in MelaFix (or coral Rx or another plant extract dip) to stun and removed nudibranchs.
I dip torches and other LPS in an iodine solution to manage/avoid BJD. If I see any kind of flatworms/planaria I might also dip in a plant extract dip.

Once a year or so I will do a general in tank treatment with milbemycin oxide for Rd/Black/White bugs that seem to evade these other acropora dips.

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m new at this and my apologies if the question sounds stupid or if it’s too evident that I don’t know what I’m doing….So let’s said I got carried away and got a bunch of corals from one of these holiday sales (all from same vendor). So is it safe to put all of them in a tub and dip them in coral rx and then iodine? Or better do it one by one? also you do the dips before or after acclimated to be tank water? Thanks for the help

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m new at this and my apologies if the question sounds stupid or if it’s too evident that I don’t know what I’m doing….So let’s said I got carried away and got a bunch of corals from one of these holiday sales (all from same vendor). So is it safe to put all of them in a tub and dip them in coral rx and then iodine? Or better do it one by one? also you do the dips before or after acclimated to be tank water? Thanks for the help
Ur going to get some different opinions but here is mine:

Temp acclimate first away from bright light if shipped.
If you don't have a separate tank for a bit of rest in a QT, then I would put them in a low light and low flow space to recuperate (if they are high value pieces especially) for 48 hours or so.
Then dip.

If the dips are clean then place them and go.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning from my past experiance... I never never put all corals togather for dipping.

IMO, the closest you can get to is dipping only same type of corals together... never with mixed types, even mixed species of the same type.

The reasons..
- While dipping corals will be stressed and might resort to stinging anything nearby.
- During the proccess most corals will excrete slime which could be toxic to other corals
- During the process even parasites could release their defense into the water which could be poison to other animals.

So, if possible do not dip corals of diffeter species/types togather and dont reuse the dip water.

Only my opinion.

Vagabond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Whats the best dip for zoa pox?I've read that Furan 2 was good but no longer available anymore.
Any suggestions?

Sparkss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip a general dip or Bayer for all corals. If they are lps I also dip iodine or if the coral looks like it might be stressed or have a bacterial issue. If there is algae on the plug I will also dip peroxide or squirt peroxide on the plug.
Does peroxide work for Valonia growing on the base of an lps skeleton? Thanks

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s new in Acropora dipping? What is everyone using? I have been using Potassium Chloride but want to hear some suggestions.
Concentration, time frame, etc

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is the general consensus on the most benign coral dip for diagnostics? Low concentration of potassium chloride? I am looking to ID some pest before selecting a treatment protocol. Just need to knock them lose, ideally not killing the pest. I would like to keep them alive to run some experimental test with different insecticides and anthelmintics. And before asking its in my quarantine system. The discoloration to me looks like AEFW marks, the pest moving around look like red bugs.

Video and picture below.

IMG_8358.jpeg

Last edited:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any real difference between Reef Primer and mixing your own potassium salts? Reef Primer is just do pricey, especially it it's just potassium salts.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.
Great info, very helpful! Thanks

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It would be cool if you explained when and why to use dips. I’ve been keeping mixed reef for 2.5 years and don’t know when or why I’m dipping. Maybe I’m irresponsible or stupid lol.

I use Koral MD, but don’t know what it does, if it’s working, if it kills good stuff I might want to introduce, etc.

Kind of funny but I bought a big green birds nest colony last week, dipped it per instructions, and then put it in DT. The next day I noticed a red crab living in its branches that I’m 98% sure hitchhiked in on it. was glad dip didn’t kill it lol.

IMG_0355.jpeg

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone has a dip against kind of green alga that slowly growth in corals and then after time cause stn? I also have a more fast-growing alga that easily blow away (seems not to be cyano) but itself than in many coral and once it is inside it is near impossible to get ride off, you blow it away a few hours after it is here again and slowly kills also the corals.

pakolmoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is possible help me?
After cipro tractment for stn in Acropora y am so scary to introduce new acro frags
What Is the best dip for kill some new bacterial infections please?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back