Coral dips?

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other night I took part in a local auction for frags, I’ve got about 15-20 small frags coming and wondering the best way to dip them all?
I’ve been researching and they say to make a new dip for each coral? Using something like coral rx for each individual coral is gonna use a lot, could I use dettol? I’ve read about it but can’t find if it is safe enough for the corals
Mainly montipora and Zoas

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying it is the right thing to do or recommended it, but every time I have bought more then one frag I have dipped them in the same solution of Coral RX and I have not had any issues with pests or other stuff afterwards. I do make sure the corals arent lying ontop of eachother, and I rinse them off after dipping in separate containers though.

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On videos I’ve wathe’d it says about the toxins certain hitch hikers release but surely if you put them all in together and rinse then separately all the toxins will be rinsed off anyway?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On videos I’ve wathe’d it says about the toxins certain hitch hikers release but surely if you put them all in together and rinse then separately all the toxins will be rinsed off anyway?

I've always dipped my corals together, but, then again, i've never done 15-20. I think 2 batches of coral rx would do it. Or I buy from Jason Fox and don't worry about dipping my corals that i get from him. ;) GL

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dettol is .5 - 1 ml per litre of tank water for 5 - 10 minutes, rinse well after or you skimmer will go nuts.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the same dip. Use whatever you are comfortable with. I use Bayer and find it the most effective and also the most gentle, but you cannot see what is in the dip, which is no problem for me.

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dettol is perfectly fine, ive used nothing else and works a treat, £1 and will last me a lifetime
What ratio do you use for mixing it? I’ve heard of .3ml per litre and .5-1ml
Don’t wanna over do it and harm coral

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just to be sure is it the one in the picture or the antiseptic disinfectant one?

4F9E52C7-E9A2-4BED-B41E-EEF33EBCAC26.png

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, will be using tomorrow

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back