Coral feeding

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I'm greatly disappointed in the scientific community and their complete lack of interest in my micro environment. My reef, my refrigerator, my bathroom... they are rife with scientific data just waiting to be studied!

I believe the op question states "...do you have to feed your corals?". The answer is yes, whether you want to put extra food specifically for the coral, or they catch extra food from fish feed time is irrelevant. They must acquire food. The original question does not say target feed or directly feed...

You will never see a scientific article about you specific Microsystem because I doubt you'll let scientists into your home to run tests. I can tell you this though, if the coral require food in nature they will not magically not require food in a fish tank. I have seen several studies of coral done on encrusted frag plugs in aquarium environments, and those coral still need food...infact over half the studies are performed in a controlled environment (aquarium).

Like you said, there is no concrete rules. The subject is dependent on several factors, species in question, water quality, available food supply in system, along with other things. Anybody who says they never ever feed their corals is mis-speaking, they actually mean they never ever target feed their corals. Everybody feeds their corals whether directly or indirectly.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a strong feeling that if you asked Mike he'd say that yes he understands they require food as all living things do.

You probably right but the way I interpret the question (as written)...can corals completely live off of photosynthesis. The answer is no, they must be fed something...that is why they have polyps designed to catch food.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I'm greatly disappointed in the scientific community and their complete lack of interest in my micro environment. My reef, my refrigerator, my bathroom... they are rife with scientific data just waiting to be studied!

You're lucky then, where I'm at they are like door to door salesman in lab coats trying to get in people's houses.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... that's disappointing. Please pass my information along. I'll trade you my Mormons for your scientists.

You're lucky then, where I'm at they are like door to door salesman in lab coats trying to get in people's houses.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure? I thought they were for hanging ornaments from.

You probably right but the way I interpret the question (as written)...can corals completely live off of photosynthesis. The answer is no, they must be fed something...that is why they have polyps designed to catch food.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have loads of different types of feeding made for your sps-reef nutrition has a great line of live foods. I wont say I do it or worry about them feeding often though and use it maybe twice a month. They seem to do fine without and what gets put in for the fish and other more aggressive feeders. It seems logical that if you feed something that eats it will grow bigger faster. Be carefull feeding if your planning on a bunch of sps-theyre sensitive lil buggers. Lps could benefit greatly from feedings I would think though I gave up spot feeding a long time ago and everyone seems to be doing fine with what the current brings. If your sps is growing back over the bleached areas it might of rtn/what the heck and died instead of bleaching.?.
Well my sps definitely aren't dead. They're not dead until they are completely white. When I mean bleached I don't mean solely from too bright lighting. Lots of things can give them bleached spots. I don't see polyps but I will have to stay up one of these nights because some sps extends polyps only at night.

OP
OP
mike007

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i do understand that all living creatures have to eat to survive. I do not target feed my corals but i do feed them. Also you have to remember when you feed your fish the corals are also getting fed to some extent. The owner of my lfs does not feed his corals in his display tank and it is totaly awesome. He has bubble tip nems the size of basketballs.
The corals derive approx 85% of their energy from the Zooxanthellae and produce the remaining 15% in their soft tissue by metabolizing coral nutrients (Carbohydrates, Amino and Fatty

acids) that are available in the surrounding water.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back