Coral help. Candy canes not opening

My other trumpets are doing great is the thing. Could it have been the change in flow? It would’ve effected them and not the trumpets due to placement.
How did the flow change and when? If they are getting a lot more flow than before than they might just need to adjust to the new conditions or be moved to a lower flow location. It's very normal for a LPS like this to shrink up in higher flow than what they are used to. They cannot be fully extended without damaging themselves on their own skeleton if the flow is too high.
If you changed the flow earlier in the week and they were still eating I would think that is not the problem.
 
How did the flow change and when? If they are getting a lot more flow than before than they might just need to adjust to the new conditions or be moved to a lower flow location. It's very normal for a LPS like this to shrink up in higher flow than what they are used to. They cannot be fully extended without damaging themselves on their own skeleton if the flow is too high.
If you changed the flow earlier in the week and they were still eating I would think that is not the problem.
No I changed flow and they stopped eating and extending. What I did was move the powerhead (the stock return on my biocube 32 led) from facing the glass to facing the tank to try to help dust algea issues. Now instead of an indirect flow bouncing off the glass they were getting sort of a wind tunnel type flow directly around the island of rock I have in the middle. They krytonitr canes are where the trumpets used to be in this photo

A5041AFE-ABEF-448E-9393-D345E3C6784E.jpeg
 
I would just move the flow back to how it was before and use a powerhead or turkey baster to blast the rocks right before your waterchanges. The candy canes should be back to normal within a few days of the flow being redirected.
 
You didn't mention your phosphate test. My kryptos get angry when P04 or N03 drops down near 0.0.. they are one of my canaries that alert me to lack of nutrient issues. I don't feed them directly, but do use phyto and others means to help them filter feed. I have mine middle of the way up the tank, in low/moderate flow.. when extended, they should be a puffy pillow, and it's hard for them to be puffy in excessive flow.. just some ideas, hope it helps.
 
Thank you
You didn't mention your phosphate test. My kryptos get angry when P04 or N03 drops down near 0.0.. they are one of my canaries that alert me to lack of nutrient issues. I don't feed them directly, but do use phyto and others means to help them filter feed. I have mine middle of the way up the tank, in low/moderate flow.. when extended, they should be a puffy pillow, and it's hard for them to be puffy in excessive flow.. just some ideas, hope it helps.

thank you. I’ve changed the flow back gonna see if that helps and then maybe a water change if it doesn’t
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new