Coral ID | Help finalize my decision | Chalice or Tiny Blasto

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it is closed it looks like a chalice, but when open the heads look like a blasto. I showed these pics to my local reef shop and they say blasto, some people on reef2reef suggested chalice. Besides the shape of the heads, nothing else to me says blasto. The frag is on a 3/4 inch diameter plug so the frag itself is tiny. I just have never seen a blasto that doesn't have any sign of a skeleton like this one.

Have yall ever seen a blasto like this? The heads look like miniature blastomussa merletti heads.

20220710_185511.jpg 20220710_185615.jpg Screenshot_20220711-211743_Photos.jpg

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go the other way and say blasto. The chalice wouldn’t “close” it would more or less shrink up. And blasto/blasto merletti would have a skeleton since they are LPS.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it is closed it looks like a chalice, but when open the heads look like a blasto. I showed these pics to my local reef shop and they say blasto, some people on reef2reef suggested chalice. Besides the shape of the heads, nothing else to me says blasto. The frag is on a 3/4 inch diameter plug so the frag itself is tiny. I just have never seen a blasto that doesn't have any sign of a skeleton like this one.

Have yall ever seen a blasto like this? The heads look like miniature blastomussa merletti heads.
This seems to really be causing you distress... I think you should send it to me. I'll do this for you, no need to thank me ;)

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blasto. They have skeletons.
Never said they didn't but you will clearly see individual heads on the skeleton like a hammer but tiny, you know? I won't grow like a mat with polyps randomly on it like this coral presents.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never said they didn't but you will clearly see individual heads on the skeleton like a hammer but tiny, you know? I won't grow like a mat with polyps randomly on it like this coral presents.
I ran across this thread after it has been open for awhile, but I say blasto. People often forget that Indo blastos are different than Aussie blastos which have a more visible skeleton. Indo blastos can start small, but grow flatter to a rock surface and get larger in the long run and they can come in more striking colors.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still think Chalice with feeder tentacles extended. The skeletal structure around the polyps is characteristic of a chalice and not a blasto IMO.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back