Coral identification needed & help.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dermatobranchus albus look up,mine not exact same colours as what shows up for this name but very similar so think same species,but if look this sea slug forum I shared,got alot off information on sea slugs and use search option and shows 100's variations and descriptions etc

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I could pull my gsp out and dip and examine and remove all sea slugs then within a weeks time,I'm pulling 5-6 each and every day,but very small ones so reproduce very quickly and once In tank,they won't just stay on gsp,as they maybe a few on the rocks/sand next to gsp etc,took me a few months off pulling gsp out and removing them or using long planted tweezers to pull them off when seen them,more active when lights out I noticed

OP
OP
J

Jromaszko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense, roughly a month ago in saw one in the tank, slugging around, but never made anything of it. Then suddenly there was loads of tiny one. I gues he or she made babies, then I just saw them randomly on gsp and this is when my gsp started to close up :(
Well I hope so at least.
Ironically i can see even 1 no to take a photo. They do come out more at night and early morning:/

I guess I'm just gone have to find as many as I can and remove them and see if that helps.

But wood they cause gsp literally detoriating?
I blew my gsp 2 days ago with a turkey blaster and gsp polyp and polyp walls started to fall off ?

OP
OP
J

Jromaszko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I though they are just nice cute thing to watch snailing around sand and rocks.
If its them.... I will call them gsp murderers

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense, roughly a month ago in saw one in the tank, slugging around, but never made anything of it. Then suddenly there was loads of tiny one. I gues he or she made babies, then I just saw them randomly on gsp and this is when my gsp started to close up :(
Well I hope so at least.
Ironically i can see even 1 no to take a photo. They do come out more at night and early morning:/

I guess I'm just gone have to find as many as I can and remove them and see if that helps.

But wood they cause gsp literally detoriating?
I blew my gsp 2 days ago with a turkey blaster and gsp polyp and polyp walls started to fall off ?
If they eating/irritating the gsp then this makes gsp close up and not get no light then coral starts to die as the symbiotic algae inside the coral produces sugars and stuff the coral needs and without light the algae doesn't get light then coral starts to starve and deteriorates,its more indepth than this but most corals need light,some can capture food but most comes from light and dont know how long gsp was in lfs tanks before you got it with these sea slugs on it eating/ irritating it,but in lfs tanks its more likely that they had more options to eat other corals than in our tanks so in our tanks with say only one gsp coral as a food source then gsp gets more attention ( bad attention ) and deteriates quicker kind off thing.
As few other posters above stated,flow and light can have impact on it also

OP
OP
J

Jromaszko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a video of 1 I saw a month ago.

Yes I have 2 powerful powerheads but I will move them slightly higher.
Got as well proper marine lights on the tank,
Pictures of them posted before are made in a dark with lights off and torch. Didint want to turn light up and wake up the fish since is night time here.

Attachments

• 20220829_123242.mp4
    51.6 MB

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't view video and doesnt give no option to download video then I watch.
Sharing videos on r2r is problematic and most upload to YouTube then share link here on r2r then everyone can view it if its not set to private on YouTube .
I believe some can view video you shared if view it on there pc,unfortunately I'm only on phone and no pc sorry,hopefully some others can view it for you

OP
OP
J

Jromaszko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't view video and doesnt give no option to download video then I watch.
Sharing videos on r2r is problematic and most upload to YouTube then share link here on r2r then everyone can view it if its not set to private on YouTube .
I believe some can view video you shared if view it on there pc,unfortunately I'm only on phone and no pc sorry,hopefully some others can view it for you
Ok i took a screen shot from the video, hope you can see it clearly :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221027-205339_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-205339_Gallery.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20221027-205413_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-205413_Video Player.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 16

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tomorrow is a mission,to remove as many slugs as possible. Wish me luck ‍♀️
You might consider a wrasse as well. Some will eat nudibranches. Just make sure you get one that is compatible with your tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back