Coral Identification.

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

Need another ID on coral. I forgot to write down the corals names. You would think it would be on the receipt but they just have the word "coral" and the amount. I believe two are acnas.
20191116_191649.jpg
20191116_191702.jpg
20191116_193506.jpg

OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was real quick on the answers thanks everyone. Yeah they have only been in the tank for a few hours. The first guys didn't really close up, the bottom two did. The 3rd one is still trying to open up. When it Finally opens up I will take a pic again. They both were really closed to the bone unlike my blasto.

OP
OP
kopoboi

kopoboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm trying to get 3 different colorations of each kind of coral but I want them to be on their rocks together to keep aggression down. When I was there I was looking at so many corals guy was very helpful but names were flying left and right and thought it would be on receipt.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm trying to get 3 different colorations of each kind of coral but I want them to be on their rocks together to keep aggression down. When I was there I was looking at so many corals guy was very helpful but names were flying left and right and thought it would be on receipt.
I will tell you right now, I have three Aussie Lords (the one in your second pic). Tw of those I don't know the exact name for. One of those two arrive was solid Orange in color, exactly like the peel of a ripe orange. It is now yellow-orange. The second one was like in your pic with red and some blue stripes. It too is now yellow-orange, and the stripes are faded but still barely visible. The first one I got as part of a beginner frag pack from World Wide Corals (although, really the one I got in th pack had an infection and died within two days of going into the tank, but they sent me a replacement for it), and the second one was a freebie from one of their live sales back in February. The third one I purchased during that said live sale, a Frosted Forest Aussie Lord. It was and still is a vivid dark green with blue accents.

Personally I think the colors changed in the first two because of the light being a little too strong for their liking, but they are fat and healthy, and growing more and more heads, so can't complain.

I will post pics of the rock tomorrow during the day when I can see them better and while they are puffed up and happy.

Last edited:

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was gonna be my other guess, but as I have never seen one in person, I was basing it only on the pics I have seen of frags from the World Wide Corals site, which are generally top down. Hence why I asked to see the base of the coral, since torches have bigger(longer? taller? eh, whatevs) skeletal bases compared to galaxeas.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention in my previous response talking about my aussie lords, they aren't usually considered to be very aggressive corals. At least they don't usually go out of their way to attack other corals as compared to say, an Echinata. However anything that lands on them will get digested. I have seen my Frosted Forest lord eat bristle worms as well as an Interstellar Mushroom that had unglued itself from its frag plug and got swept into the Frosted Forest's mouth.

I remember someone talk about th aggression levels in "Acans" somewhere...let me see if I can find it and I will post it here.

Navgamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I have been referring to it as carpet grass, whenever I asked my wife to check on the corals.:D

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention in my previous response talking about my aussie lords, they aren't usually considered to be very aggressive corals. At least they don't usually go out of their way to attack other corals as compared to say, an Echinata. However anything that lands on them will get digested. I have seen my Frosted Forest lord eat bristle worms as well as an Interstellar Mushroom that had unglued itself from its frag plug and got swept into the Frosted Forest's mouth.

I remember someone talk about th aggression levels in "Acans" somewhere...let me see if I can find it and I will post it here.
I could not find the post that I remember seeing about the levels of agression across different types of Acans. It was probably in one of the live sale threads, and I am not about to spend time going through hundreds of pages to find the post. So...sorry bro.

Anyway as promised, here are my aussie lords (plus my blue hole bowerbanki)
20191118_080749.jpg

As you can see, the one my fire shrimp is on is a more orange-y yellow-orange color as it was originally orange to begin with. The one on the left is weirdly yellow-orange with some yellow-green as well, despite it originally being a bright red like the one in your pic at the top of this thread. So for whatever reason, my two "red" Aussie lords mutated and had their colors change. My Frosted Forest is still bright green though, with the blue accents turning more indigo or blue-purple.

If I remember to switch my micro-sd card from my old phone to the new one, I might be able to post pics of how the two aussie lords looked originally so you can see the differences, provided I have pictures. But that will have to wait until after work.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back