Coral Identification

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this as a freebee with my coral purchase. It wasn't labeled at all, just said freebie. The polyp is pretty much fully extended in the picture. I thought it was a frogspawn or octo, but the tentacles don't extend. When I feed it, the whole top curls in on itself. As the lights begin to go down for the night, it sticks its mouth way out.

freebie 1.JPG freebie 2.JPG

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has a stony body. It was glued to a frag, but popped off when I was trying to secure it into the rock. I don't like to glue right away anymore. I've had to move things too many time due to light of flow problems already.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got this as a freebee with my coral purchase. It wasn't labeled at all, just said freebie. The polyp is pretty much fully extended in the picture. I thought it was a frogspawn or octo, but the tentacles don't extend. When I feed it, the whole top curls in on itself. As the lights begin to go down for the night, it sticks its mouth way out.

freebie 1.JPG freebie 2.JPG
At one point I thought ball anemone but looking at base looks like a duncan coral

OP
OP
Mathew0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that at first, too. It doesn't look anything like the other duncan, tho. The tentacles are short and end in balls rather that the long pointy ended tentacles i've seen on duncans

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that at first, too. It doesn't look anything like the other duncan, tho. The tentacles are short and end in balls rather that the long pointy ended tentacles i've seen on duncans
thats because it is still opening up or adjusting to tank life, most likely it will settle in and open like other ducans

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back