Coral Joe's 45g

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new here but have had a salt water aquarium hobby for over 30 years.

20200821_183655.jpg

OP
OP
coral_joe

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a JBJ 45 gallon from back when they used bent glass. It is self contained with the sump system behind the false wall on the back. I run a protein skimmer & heater in the compartments in the back along with filter media (carbon) & bio-balls. I keep it simple. All that live rock is Fiji and about 20 years in my tank. I think that keeps it stable. I use an aqualife LED only with its build in controller that is about 10 years old.

OP
OP
coral_joe

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 fish (with all the craziness in Hawaii going on). A dottyback & a coral beauty reef angel. The clown in the photo above was returned to the LFS due to aggressiveness. I have a rimless aquarium and have had a couple of 6 line wrasse jump out (I really liked them). I would like a 3rd fish - any suggestions?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 2 fish (with all the craziness in Hawaii going on). A dottyback & a coral beauty reef angel. The clown in the photo above was returned to the LFS due to aggressiveness. I have a rimless aquarium and have had a couple of 6 line wrasse jump out (I really liked them). I would like a 3rd fish - any suggestions?
Coral beauty? Have you had it eat coral? I suggest a pair of banggi cardinals or a blenny of some sort.

OP
OP
coral_joe

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LED light is about 10 years old. Does anyone know how long they last? The reason I ask is back in the metal halide days, I had to replace the bulb before it burned out to maintain the intensity.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will check them out. I have never had them before.
Awesome animals... do not tick them off though. They'll hop around like frogs. If you REALLY tick them off they emit a slime that gets everywhere. I had one do this when I tried to move him with a stick once.

OP
OP
coral_joe

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with a flame hawkfish? I have a coral beauty angel & a dottyback in a 45 gallon AIO. I have no top on the tank and one article I read said they may jump out.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does any one have suggestions for CUC that can dig & push the crushed coral bottom around? It is difficult to stir up myself with all the rock I have.
Nice tank, 30 years I am just shy of that, glad to see you sticking with the hobby. As for the sand bed, agree with a Conch, Fighting or Stawberry also does a nice job. Another suggestion would be Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber. Have had mine for about 15 years, it does a brilliant job stirring and 'cleaning' the bed....

OP
OP
coral_joe

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time to pick out a new light. I was a little worried about the age of mine (10 years) but now the clock resets to midnight every time I turn it off and I have to bring a computer over and plug it in to get it to correct itself (pain).

Fellow reefers - I am reaching out for recommendations on a new LED light (no fluorescents please).

Tank:
45 gallon AIO
softies, sps, & lps corals
16 x 26 inches with a depth of 19 inches

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back