Coral Naming

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say "look-a-like." That seems to work. It lets people know that it is close, but does not have the lineage and might not be the exact coral.

You can also just say the color(s) and the type of coral. Blue-Green Humilis, Blue Tip Prostata, Purple Nana, etc.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say "look-a-like." That seems to work. It lets people know that it is close, but does not have the lineage and might not be the exact coral.

You can also just say the color(s) and the type of coral. Blue-Green Humilis, Blue Tip Prostata, Purple Nana, etc.
I have had people yell at me for using the term lookalike.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Do they have look-a-like prices, or real-deal prices? Knowing your business model, they are probably priced correctly. Let them know that I think that they are dumb... I make enough people mad around here so what is a few more?

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wish all the names would be scrapped, and go back to species name and color description, if only to give the purchaser an idea as to proper placement in their reef. And if actual lineage is available for popular species/ color schemes that will more thoroughly describe the specific coral one is selling, then so be it. Otherwise, the names just looks silly to veteran reefers, and mislead/ confuse those who may not be experienced enough to identify the species and subsequently research it's care. I've purchased many frags on eBay through the years, and sometimes these small frags take over a year to display enough phenotypes to allow for an educated guess as to the species. My guess is that many frags purchased on eBay (especially mariculture "chop shop" vendors) die unnecessarily due to the impossibility of identification due to lack of proper husbandry, all in the name of a few more bucks in profit per frag. Sure, vendors have every right to name them whatever they want... but it seems to me that at this point, the well-being of the animals are no longer at the forefront of the seller's concern. Proper identification by vendors would dramatically increase the survival rate of many frags and colonies, after the sale is completed.

Had trouble sleeping... could ya tell?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really boils down to a few simple facts.

The people that rename well established named coral *cough* cornbred *cough* and doing the hobby a disservice. Naming something ONCE is extremely useful to people like myself that want to know what a coral can be under appropriate conditions.

Buy from trusted sellers that can show lineage of the original pieces. How the hell else am I supposed to know what I'm buying?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really boils down to a few simple facts.

The people that rename well established named coral *cough* cornbred *cough* and doing the hobby a disservice. Naming something ONCE is extremely useful to people like myself that want to know what a coral can be under appropriate conditions.

Buy from trusted sellers that can show lineage of the original pieces. How the hell else am I supposed to know what I'm buying?
Only question I have is how do you "show lineage". Genuinely curious. To my knowledge there isn't any kind of "certification" you can get for corals from a central authority that certifies lineage? To my knowledge, it simply comes down to how trustworthy the seller is.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only question I have is how do you "show lineage". Genuinely curious. To my knowledge there isn't any kind of "certification" you can get for corals from a central authority that certifies lineage? To my knowledge, it simply comes down to how trustworthy the seller is.

Good point. Some people (non-commercial) show receipts of their original purchase from the grower. I think with people like you we just trust :)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Some people (non-commercial) show receipts of their original purchase from the grower. I think with people like you we just trust :)
Ah good to know. :D I was wondering if there was like a coral authority hah. That would be a very interesting thing.

rstrann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snake and the poison dart frog community have (very) loosely-regulated registration processes that alot of us have used. I think the failure in these efforts have been mostly due to the small niche that both of these hobbies occupy in the exotic trade, a high turnover rate of keepers in those hobbies, and good ol fashioned laziness when it comes to registering purchases lol. It would be really nice to have a lineage database for coral, but I have a feeling the effort would succumb to the same shortcomings that plagued the snake and frog hobbies

OP
OP
aarbutina

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ancestry dot com?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I show people the email chain from the source that I got the coral from. Way, way back, your name used to get put on the LE website and everybody knew that you got a piece... or there as a paper receipt in the box or thermos (remember thermos shipping) that I would keep. Peng and I have talked on thread on this forum about the HotO that I got from him - you as well... so internet threads with "thank you" or "your order just shipped" works. All of this counts. It is hard when you buy a coral out of a guys basement.

I also feel that liars get a 10 year hex and curse on their tanks and businesses for selling no-names as the real thing. Eventually, this does catch up to them.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I maintain my position that naming is really only helpful for zoas. We know so little about them that we argue if a coral is a paly or zoa. Even if names drive up prices at least zoas grow fast.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind adding ones name in FRONT of the corals widely known name. For instance, Boomcorals could sell the WD as a Boomcorals WD. I would assume I was getting a WD that came from a very reputable reefer. I know who Boomcorals is, so, would buy WD that came from them over some random dudebro here, given the option.

What I WOULDNT like is to see Boomcorals take a WD and then call it a Boomcorals Epcot Center when it is CLEARLY a WD.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind adding ones name in FRONT of the corals widely known name. For instance, Boomcorals could sell the WD as a Boomcorals WD. I would assume I was getting a WD that came from a very reputable reefer. I know who Boomcorals is, so, would buy WD that came from them over some random dudebro here, given the option.

What I WOULDNT like is to see Boomcorals take a WD and then call it a Boomcorals Epcot Center when it is CLEARLY a WD.
Ok well now that you have that idea in my head, I'll have to look through some wholesaler lists to find a coral I can call Epcot Center. :D

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't care about keeping them is all. Never thought this would be a hobby I would have to prove what I bought and from whom.
I would say well over half the acros I own I never got a receipt whether it was from a local reefer or I told the store / facility not to waste the paper and ink.
I do think corals over the net from a business should have a receipt just in case someone tries to rip you off.
Weird world we live in that we have to worry about such things.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care about the names I buy corals and keep them because I love Keeping them. I have spent a lot of money on corals over the years way more than I could ever kept up with. [emoji3] I love corals some people are in a different hobby the collect corals like people collected beanie babies. As some kind of way to make a bunch of money.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back