Coral placement zones!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingAlee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
But as vintage said. Anywhere, everywhere. May need to adjust some pieces if bleaching or polyps dont open. A lot of our coral are no longer wild and adapt readily. Not all, but enough of them.
Thanks for the support, and the clarification I forgot to mention

Yes, I find the majority of pieces will do fine in the majority of locations in a properly lit tank. If something shows signs of bleaching or isn’t opening properly, then reassess if it needs to be moved.

Have some knowledge of your tank. My sandbed ranges from 60-100 par. Pretty much all LPS will thrive in that range. I got a trachy today, I know, it can go anywhere on my sandbed and be fine. And so, I put it on the sandbed and a few hours later -
298A9134-C5DF-471F-BB1C-60E0D1C1CA92.jpeg

That red trachy is open and happy. I’ll observe and make sure the color stays true and doesn’t fade but my gut tells me it’s happy

You’ll see I have a torch back there also. It’s on a rock stand. About 125 par. Torches do fine in 100-250 typically. They adapt. It gets good flow there also.

My acros are towards the top, in 200-450 par depending on the location. Most acro do fine in this range. I start them around 200 and let them adapt to the tank for a few months then move them into higher par if I feel I can pull more color. If they are happy, I leave them.

The reality is everything has a range it will be happy in. There is no perfect spot typically. Just get them in the range they need and leave them alone. They are more dependent on water stability and flow than an exact par number. I find water stability / parameters and flow are most important for the coral to open, and par they can tolerate a range of.
 
I would go middle front and center if your getting multiple torches. I should probably check my par but my torches are close to the sand bed on a little island rock I made.

My Zoas are top of the tank and are adjusted to high par. My chalices are bottom right of my tank and are growing like crazy.

Everything can be adjusted based on where you want your corals and what you ultimately like.

IMG_4939.jpeg IMG_4923.jpeg
 
Thanks for the support, and the clarification I forgot to mention

Yes, I find the majority of pieces will do fine in the majority of locations in a properly lit tank. If something shows signs of bleaching or isn’t opening properly, then reassess if it needs to be moved.

Have some knowledge of your tank. My sandbed ranges from 60-100 par. Pretty much all LPS will thrive in that range. I got a trachy today, I know, it can go anywhere on my sandbed and be fine. And so, I put it on the sandbed and a few hours later -
298A9134-C5DF-471F-BB1C-60E0D1C1CA92.jpeg

That red trachy is open and happy. I’ll observe and make sure the color stays true and doesn’t fade but my gut tells me it’s happy

You’ll see I have a torch back there also. It’s on a rock stand. About 125 par. Torches do fine in 100-250 typically. They adapt. It gets good flow there also.

My acros are towards the top, in 200-450 par depending on the location. Most acro do fine in this range. I start them around 200 and let them adapt to the tank for a few months then move them into higher par if I feel I can pull more color. If they are happy, I leave them.

The reality is everything has a range it will be happy in. There is no perfect spot typically. Just get them in the range they need and leave them alone. They are more dependent on water stability and flow than an exact par number. I find water stability / parameters and flow are most important for the coral to open, and par they can tolerate a range of.
Have you seen the torches in @Miami Reef 's tank? LOL I need to find links.... I'll do that after grocery shopping. Unless he beats me to it.

❤️ @Miami Reef awesome tank in a hurricane!
 
Here’s a video:




First half of the video: the right side of the hammer getting absolutely smashed from the suction zone of the powerheads.

Second half: The left side of my acanthastrea is caving inward from the suction zone on the left side of the tank.


My corals have to adapt. 🤷‍♂️


😂
 
Have you seen the torches in @Miami Reef 's tank? LOL I need to find links.... I'll do that after grocery shopping. Unless he beats me to it.

❤️ @Miami Reef awesome tank in a hurricane!
I’ll watch his video

Does he have one of these 😏
Does anyone? I’ve never seen anyone with blue torch. Pics under blues and full spectrum to follow:

402C4256-473D-458A-A75D-28928110221B.jpeg


15828C0E-BC6D-4A97-A077-1C0E51C12789.jpeg

76B4A928-7F7D-4E58-829F-78F9690042E8.jpeg
 
My meat corals are in the center where the flow is lower.
IMG_1616.jpeg
 
Here’s a video:




First half of the video: the right side of the hammer getting absolutely smashed from the suction zone of the powerheads.

Second half: The left side of my acanthastrea is caving inward from the suction zone on the left side of the tank.


My corals have to adapt. 🤷‍♂️


😂

Still very beautiful coral!
 
You took down your torch video!!! WHY?
I wanted to retake it. I changed their positions and wanted to make an updated video.
 
One thing I noticed with aquascape was rocks too close to glass on the sides. Corala and rock will not allow you to clean glass and when corals grow too close sometimes cutting them is challenging.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new