OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only order from within Canada, and so can't speak to the American experience, but all vendors from which I've ordered livestock have responded to my enquiries within a day. I wouldn't deal with them otherwise.
Alright. Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon. I want to see how they’re gonna go about with replacements or whatever they wanna do.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon. I want to see how they’re gonna go about with replacements or whatever they wanna do.
When my earlier, pre-Christmas shipment was pandemic-delayed, Fragbox in Ontario sent me another order, no questions asked -- I just had to send them pictures of the dead corals. This is one of the reasons that I'll buy from them again.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my earlier, pre-shipment was pandemic-delayed, Fragbox in Ontario sent me another order, no questions asked -- I just had to send them pictures of the dead corals.
Yeah, my vendor is being very broad with their answers. All I’ve really gotten is they’ll extend their DOA policy with the delay and that they’ll take care of me.
But the delay of 4 days obviously stressed the crap out of the corals and although some are alive they’re bleaching and probably going to die so I wonder if they’ll replace those.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my vendor is being very broad with their answers. All I’ve really gotten is they’ll extend their DOA policy with the delay and that they’ll take care of me.
But the delay of 4 days obviously stressed the crap out of the corals and although some are alive they’re bleaching and probably going to die so I wonder if they’ll replace those.
I'd ask, firmly but politely, for replacements for those too. You may have long-term issues with the corals, and if they're already stressed they're already at risk. What do they want you to do, send updates every week? I'd certainly take pictures of any mucus generation and discoloration to them to prove your point.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask, firmly but politely, for replacements for those too. You may have long-term issues with the corals, and if they're already stressed they're already at risk. What do they want you to do, send updates every week? I'd certainly take pictures of any mucus generation and discoloration to them to prove your point.
Yeah that’s a very true point. Thank you for the tips and such. And I have an album with almost 100 pictures showing all the damage, discoloration, brown jelly, bleaching, mucus, etc

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is thread sooo long. the question at hand is the same as what do i do if my wife is late. cry like a baby
Idek why it’s long lol. Everybody that had their shipments delayed are chiming in too and I’m enjoying it. Definitely a good answer to the question :p

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also one of the 20+ effected from this.

I agree that, as long as Fedex keeps them in a temp controlled area, it should be OK. More harmful is if they get left on the delivery vehicle for a long period (at least here in Indiana where it is very cold now)

Having 22 corals in there could be a bonus too, as it would take a bit longer for that much water to cool down.
Having inside knowledge of both FedEx & UPS it’s an incredibly high probability your boxes are sitting at a dock inside of a tractor trailer. Shipments are rarely stored inside a facility they just pass through processing and sit in destination trailer until departure.

Please note if you’re checking tracking in the middle of the night say after 1am it won’t be updated leaving the facility until arrives at Dest facility for final sort. Therefore it could actually be on its way. Keep an eye for your local sort facility that’s how you know it’s gonna arrive. Confusing yes. Good luck

Natedogg1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no surprises for me
20210215_113838.jpg 20210215_113920.jpg 20210215_114013.jpg

These corporate delivery companies are driven by the dollar. It will be up to us to look out for these creatures and maybe not consider ordering fish during January and February.

That stinks, what is the blue/black fish on the right?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess now my question is.... is there anyway I can track down the truck and ask them to get my package out? Or is that not allowed?
I did that with ups once.. pulled the driver over and got my fish from him

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that with ups once.. pulled the driver over and got my fish from him
I was about to drive 30 min away but luckily right as I was about to leave I noticed he was on the highway heading to my town. Ended up catching him at the post office disposing of some boxes. Went super smooth

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update for you guys. Vendor has gotten back to me. They are extending their DOA for me even more. They told me to just contact them again in a week or two with a final tally. I think that is wonderful customer service so that I don’t think something will make it and end up dying. I asked him if a bleached coral counts as a DOA so we will see what he says.

Last edited:

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only order from within Canada, and so can't speak to the American experience, but all vendors from which I've ordered livestock have responded to my enquiries within a day. I wouldn't deal with them otherwise.

It sure is fun telling those in the lower 48 about our temperatures, though! I had a chat with a representative (owner) from Ruby Reef Rally on Saturday, and he cackled when I told him that the temperature "wasn't too bad" at -20C. Well I mean, it wasn't too bad, because that just means a winter jacket and a tuque (and mask), instead of a parka, mukluks, and snow goggles. -30C is iffy for me, and I just find temps below -40C to be brutal.
The lower 48 can get that cold! It was -23 F (-31 C) where I was a few nights ago.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re all goners :(
Any of the ones that did have some flesh left are literally bleaching more and more by the hour
Still holding out for the zoas. Might do an iodine dip in a couple days if they don’t open up

0C4A169B-CA0E-4CD6-9D6F-06653D1C9F07.jpeg 6C2C610F-EEEF-42E7-871E-327EFDD6F8F7.jpeg 21589F72-EE57-42B1-B205-48B62520220C.jpeg

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Very sorry to hear.
I thought at least a couple of the favias would pull through but they’re degenerating so quickly. I didn’t even know corals could bleach that quick. The chalice literally bleached 1/4” in like an hour. The one good thing is the vendor responded back saying anything that I didn’t think was healthy they would replace so very good customer service on their side.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about this. However! I'd suggest this: take pics of the frags, and then take them out of that tank and put them in another one (or in a bucket), along with a powerhead or powerstone and heater and adequate lighting, and then wait awhile. Some of those frags probably will survive. If they die, though, they could mess up your parameters for your other corals, and you don't want that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back