OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard and fast rule. If a vendor or hobbyist doesn't cover shipping delays I will not purchase from them.
Yeah that’s a smart rule. My vendor states they don’t cover them but they are breaking their policy for me thank goodness

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one time I’m glad I didn’t listen to some of y’all lol. I went to intercept the package and got it. At least a couple zoas are still alive with a couple other corals glowing a little bit but a lot of skeleton showing. I’m letting them sit in my tank for an hour and then we’ll get a close look at the damage
Was just about to tell you yes you can intercept! I've done it many times.

Glad it worked for you!

The zoas look like they will make it and maybe some of the others. Amazing!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just about to tell you yes you can intercept! I've done it many times.

Glad it worked for you!

The zoas look like they will make it and maybe some of the others. Amazing!
Yessir. The driver was shocked when I told him it was live fish that I’ve been waiting on for 5 days. But he was super nice and got it for me. Zoas are definitely looking good, obviously a little stressed but only like 3 had slime and one had brown jelly.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the weather that they predicted for the country this week, I wouldn't dream of ordering livestock this week. Either wait until next week or see if the vendor will hold it until the weather clears. Overnight shipping is taking four or five days to go cross country. Then, the package sits in an unheated delivery truck for more hours. I wouldn't want to put any fish or coral through that.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this hairy slime on them mean they’re dead or what?
Yes, those goners. I would take them out so it doesn’t spread to other corals. Zoa’s are indestructible. They will be what’s left along with cockroaches after the nuclear apocalypse. :)
I would dip. More so not to prevent any hitchhikers getting into your DT than saving the LPS.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no surprises for me
20210215_113838.jpg 20210215_113920.jpg 20210215_114013.jpg

These corporate delivery companies are driven by the dollar. It will be up to us to look out for these creatures and maybe not consider ordering fish during January and February.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no surprises for me
20210215_113838.jpg 20210215_113920.jpg 20210215_114013.jpg

These corporate delivery companies are driven by the dollar. It will be up to us to look out for these creatures and maybe not consider ordering fish during January and February.
True. I once asked @LiveAquaria to change my shipping date about 20 min after I placed the order because I looked at the weather after I placed the order (dumb of me) and they refused. Said it was “against policy” to change date/location after ordering. No surprise, fish died.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I once asked liveaquaria to change my shipping date about 20 min after I placed the order because I looked at the weather after I placed the order (dumb of me) and they refused. Said it was “against policy.” No surprise, fish died.
That is crazy. You’d think they would care about the fish and understand!

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, those goners. I would take them out so it doesn’t spread to other corals. Zoa’s are indestructible. They will be what’s left along with cockroaches after the nuclear apocalypse. :)
I would dip. More so not to prevent any hitchhikers getting into your DT than saving the LPS.
I’m leaving them in for now because I don’t know what the company will say yet. They might try to say that they aren’t considered DOA since they still have some flesh. Most of the ones with slime are all favia so I’m not too worried about them harming each other.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this guy have any chance. If any were to survive i wish it were him :(

Attachments

• A80BF83E-AD24-4444-8759-C1C4A70368F7.jpeg
    A80BF83E-AD24-4444-8759-C1C4A70368F7.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 67

LiveRockmia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on my torches that were shipped Thursday and got delayed. I got them today (monday) at end of day. So 4 days in transit. 1 of the 2 torches survived completely fine. The second one was mush and seemed dead for a while

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on my torches that were shipped Thursday and got delayed. I got them today (monday) at end of day. So 4 days in transit. 1 of the 2 torches survived completely fine. The second one was mush and seemed dead for a while
Keep us updated on the one that isn’t so good!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the weather that they predicted for the country this week, I wouldn't dream of ordering livestock this week. Either wait until next week or see if the vendor will hold it until the weather clears. Overnight shipping is taking four or five days to go cross country. Then, the package sits in an unheated delivery truck for more hours. I wouldn't want to put any fish or coral through that.
I think it all depends on the experience of your vendor and shipper with adverse conditions. I ordered livestock from a dealer in Edmonton ten days ago, which is a five hour drive (and eighteen hour journey by courier once it goes through a central depot). The shipment happened to coincide with the coldest weather of the season (-30C for a high!) and I had five live fish along with corals. Everything survived, and when I told the vendor, he said "I've shipped in colder weather". Those heat packs are wonders.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it all depends on the experience of your vendor and shipper with adverse conditions. I ordered livestock from a dealer in Edmonton ten days ago, which is a five hour drive (and eighteen hour journey by courier once it goes through a central depot). The shipment happened to coincide with the coldest weather of the season (-30C for a high!) and I had five live fish along with corals. Everything survived, and when I told the vendor, he said "I've shipped in colder weather. Those heat packs are wonders.
That is insane, definitely an experienced guy right there! That’s super cold
And not directed towards you but what’s a reasonable timeline for vendor to respond back to emails?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is insane, definitely an experienced guy right there! That’s super cold
And not directed towards you but what’s a reasonable timeline for vendor to respond back to emails?
I can only order from within Canada, and so can't speak to the American experience, but all vendors from which I've ordered livestock have responded to my enquiries within a day. I wouldn't deal with them otherwise.

It sure is fun telling those in the lower 48 about our temperatures, though! I had a chat with a representative (owner) from Ruby Reef Rally on Saturday, and he cackled when I told him that the temperature "wasn't too bad" at -20C. Well I mean, it wasn't too bad, because that just means a winter jacket and a tuque (and mask), instead of a parka, mukluks, and snow goggles. -30C is iffy for me, and I just find temps below -40C to be brutal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%

Back