Coral spawned?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,hope all is well ^_^

At first I thought snail eggs or something but then googled red little balls in reef tanks and came across an article of gsp and other corals spawning ,I can only see them on gsp so unsure if it's the gsp spawned or just caught it ( if it even is from a coral spawning)
Got acqn,gsp,mushroom,monti cap,chalice all 2 weeks in tank,other than that few sps frags and zoas/ palys is all.
Lights only went out 2 hours ago so just missed it,it seems as read often spawn at night,which is shame but cool none the less.

Unless anyone knows different and eggs of some real bad pest ha ha

Last edited:
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is article I read to come to conclusion its from my gsp,as picture if exact same at bottom of article and some info on it .
Well my gsp isolated on a seperate rock.i hope dont end up with gsp on every rock in tank now this happenned but deal with that if and when happens lol

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool, but also potentially worrisome if one does not want them everywhere lol.
Eggs look very similar to those of my clove polyps that spawned several years back.

SarcotheliaEggs.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some tyree coral will disburse eggs otherwise its generally sperm that comes from coral. Never seen this

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really cool, but also potentially worrisome if one does not want them everywhere lol.
Eggs look very similar to those of my clove polyps that spawned several years back.

SarcotheliaEggs.png
Yeah look very similar .
Will have to look up how they spawn and if need 2 different gsp for one to fertilize the other kind if thing ,but if only need one then doesnt matter as already happened and no way in hell I could remove every last one ha ha so will just have to play it by ear I guess.
So what happened with your clove polyps after had the eggs ?
Did you end up with them all over your tank ?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tyree coral will disburse eggs otherwise its generally sperm that comes from coral. Never seen this
I'm only new at just over 1 year of having reef tank so never experienced it,only seen nature programmes of mass coral spawnings.
These 2 screenshots from above article I posted of red balls on gsp spawning and got exact same so guessing it's the same ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-232901_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-232901_Chrome.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20220422-232909_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-232909_Chrome.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 29

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, they were already all over the tank, though I suppose they ended up being a little 'more' all over the tank. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Fortunately they are of the more benign kind. That is they take up real-estate, but they don't smother neighboring corals.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reproduction: Non-spawning species form planulae and brood their larvae as they develop at the surface of the colony. Daughter polyps may also form at the edge of the mat.

^^^^^ this is how some species if gsp reproduce,seems like eggs just become fish/ coral food or filter /s take them out and guess just break down in some way/ shape or form ^_^

Cool to see none the less,last gsp I got,after a week in tank,I cut it up into 10 small pieces and glued onto back glass/ overflow and it all died pffft so not trying that this time,will just let it grow up the glass on its own accord

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back