Coral Spotlight | Acanthophyllia

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common names: Doughnut coral, meat coral

Difficulty level: Acanthophyllia is one of the more sensitive of the sand dwelling LPS corals. Extra care must be take to stabilize alkalinity and calcium.

Feeding: Acanthophyllia is an aggressive eater which will consumer nearly any sized meat based foods able to fit on its oral disc.

Lighting: Lower lighting levels are acceptable for this sand dwelling species.

Waterflow: They may be housed in most flow conditions though time should be given when moving them into higher flow to allow the flesh to acclimate and fill properly.

Placement: Acanthophyllia must be placed on a soft sand bed with enough room around it to open without being damaged on nearby rocks.

General: These are probably the best shape-shifter of all corals with the ability to make vast changes in their size and shape to fit conditions.

7837bfacf63d1ae0baeb761c14265459.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikejrice

mikejrice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks for the information. So it's basically like a super-mega-ultra acan? [emoji16]
Somewhat but not really haha.

They're similar in care requirements though acanthos need to be kept on the sand, and they don't bud off in groups like acans.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back