Coralline Algae after 4 days?

Jaboizav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I’m new to the hobby with about 4 months prep and about 4 days of actual tank. I know that coralline algae is sought after and the sign of a healthy tank and usually appears after initial algae bloom and not after 4 days. Despite this however I do have bright purple spots on some of my rock and I was hoping someone could help my identify it and if it it’s not coralline algae if I need to worry about it? Whilst I guess it might just be the colouration of the rock it’s quite sparse and I don’t remember noticing it before so I think this is unlikely.

Thanks in advance!
E4DF3972-F29B-4B5C-B123-2077002D87F6.jpeg
E87DCF6F-3FE8-4015-BB4F-499A583B6A09.jpeg
8CF0E5A4-C6B1-4175-9D74-C68DD80B295E.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the rock from a wet tank at lfs or dry

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote wet origination based on some growths in the zoom pic detail.

How we cycle a reef tank is polar opposite between wet vs dry origination rock. A certain direction for your tank is known based off the rock's origination

dry=former pigments rehydrated, reflect light in new ways, needs time to cycle and gain bacteria.
wet=all the rock is cycled already since growths had time to form. filter bacteria, clades that reduce harmful ammonia, are set before new growths we can see with the unaided eye. coralline always signifies cycle completion, from wet rocks/rocks from a fish store reef tank etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaboizav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote wet origination based on some growths in the zoom pic detail.

How we cycle a reef tank is polar opposite between wet vs dry origination rock. A certain direction for your tank is known based off the rock's origination

dry=former pigments rehydrated, reflect light in new ways, needs time to cycle and gain bacteria.
wet=all the rock is cycled already since growths had time to form. filter bacteria, clades that reduce harmful ammonia, are set before new growths we can see with the unaided eye. coralline always signifies cycle completion, from wet rocks/rocks from a fish store reef tank etc.
It was dry rock, I didn’t think the risk of parasites was worth it personally! I used colony marine to quick start the tank

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, must've been live at some point. after dosing bottle bac and some fish food, let it stew for about 10 days, change some water out so there's less algae fuel, and you're cycled like all the rest.

OP
OP
J

Jaboizav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, must've been live at some point. after dosing bottle bac and some fish food, let it stew for about 10 days, change some water out so there's less algae fuel, and you're cycled like all the rest.
Amazing thank you for the help! Nice bit of luck :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back