Coralline algae introduction

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up my aquarium set and starting next weekend with cycling the tank.

I'm thinking ahead and wondering if there is a best time to introduce coralline if it does not naturally occur.

Best way is don't, it'll happen naturally. That's your tell that your tank is maturing. Once it takes hold and starts spreading it's a pain IMO, takes up your 2 part and closes up your rocks. I have a urchin to keep it at a min.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up my aquarium set and starting next weekend with cycling the tank.

I'm thinking ahead and wondering if there is a best time to introduce coralline if it does not naturally occur.
Are you going with live rock or dry rock? Coralline will make its way into your system at some point, whether it be on a piece of live rock, or a coral frag.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone here was scraping snail shells, but don't tell the S-nail police
snail.jpg

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just received this today. I ordered ARC reefs coralline in a bottle. They put a minimum of 6 different species of coralline into the bottle. I called and talked to the guy, he was extremely friendly and knowlegeable. He told me how they make it, and that by having many different species introduced, you are bound to get at least 3 or 4 that love your tank, and really take off. He said that they have done around 100 starter tank tests with this, and in nearly all of them, it took 4 weeks to develop the coralline "chickenpox" dots all over everything. I also support the work they do in miami building reefs in the atlantic. If you look on their site, they have some amazing live rock and coralline.
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just received this today. I ordered ARC reefs coralline in a bottle. They put a minimum of 6 different species of coralline into the bottle. I called and talked to the guy, he was extremely friendly and knowlegeable. He told me how they make it, and that by having many different species introduced, you are bound to get at least 3 or 4 that love your tank, and really take off. He said that they have done around 100 starter tank tests with this, and in nearly all of them, it took 4 weeks to develop the coralline "chickenpox" dots all over everything. I also support the work they do in miami building reefs in the atlantic. If you look on their site, they have some amazing live rock and coralline.
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg
thanks for the Info, excellent source

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the rock already have coralline on it? If so, maintaining your KH levels will help it thrive/continue to spread. Not quite sure the implications of having the rock out of water for a few months will have though. I have heard many success stories of the coralline in a bottle though if your rock went dry. Either way, your best bet would be to stabilize all your water parameters first before attempting anything.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the rock already have coralline on it? If so, maintaining your KH levels will help it thrive/continue to spread. Not quite sure the implications of having the rock out of water for a few months will have though. I have heard many success stories of the coralline in a bottle though if your rock went dry. Either way, your best bet would be to stabilize all your water parameters first before attempting anything.
The more I think about it I might get fresh rock to start. Looks like cleaning/cycling rock takes some time to.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg

Thanks for this. I'll check into it more.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg

I ordered some this morning ;) Cant wait to get it! $20 is a great deal

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered as well. Seems good for a new tank start up overall. Maybe free shipping promo is always there? Either way that helps too.

Free shipping is a limited time offer

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to add this to my bucket of rock that I’m curing as soon as the ammonia drops . I’m going to put a light on it as well and concentrate the growth on these rocks for the next few weeks . After reading the letter @skiergd011013 posted the algae all grow in higher temperatures and depending on the light it will suit the algae I just hope when I put it in my main tank let the new light intensity won’t change anything but I will add another bottle when I do that should be no problem . Hope I can get a nice head start. Tank stand should be ready in a few weeks

478D6CC0-EBCB-4A9C-A179-96BE897B40F3.jpeg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to add this to my bucket of rock that I’m curing as soon as the ammonia drops . I’m going to put a light on it as well and concentrate the growth on these rocks for the next few weeks . After reading the letter @skiergd011013 posted the algae all grow in higher temperatures and depending on the light it will suit the algae I just hope when I put it in my main tank let the new light intensity won’t change anything but I will add another bottle when I do that should be no problem . Hope I can get a nice head start. Tank stand should be ready in a few weeks

478D6CC0-EBCB-4A9C-A179-96BE897B40F3.jpeg
[/QUOTE
I would get another container and separate your rock into two bins. You will get better circulation that way. It looks really packed in there right now.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure is! Lol this is what I got tho. It’s more of a gamble to see if this stuff works earlier before adding it to my tank

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back