Coralline algae introduction

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I'm picking my tank up next weekend. New rock/sand ordered. Will probably add straight to tank.

Good luck! I’ll add another bottle to my tank when I set up. I’m going to use a turkey blaster and blast it into the rocks. I’ll also leave my protein skimmer off for a few days or more as this is a new tank . I don’t want it to pull it back out. I’ll also take out my filter shocks as well. Just my thoughts

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I’ll add another bottle to my tank when I set up. I’m going to use a turkey blaster and blast it into the rocks. I’ll also leave my protein skimmer off for a few days or more as this is a new tank . I don’t want it to pull it back out. I’ll also take out my filter shocks as well. Just my thoughts
I need to run through the new tank guide more but leave power head off during this?

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to run through the new tank guide more but leave power head off during this?
no, on. Just turn off filtration. So skimmers, uv sterilizers, filter socks, anything that "filters". You want the stuff to get blown around, so leave powerheads on. I just turned my skimmer off for 45 mins (instructions said 30)

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this great info! I had originally considered buying all of the liverock for my new system from ARC, but balked at the last minute because I was afraid of hitchhikers. Instead I went with CaribSea Life Rock, which looks great (already colored purple), but doesn't actually have any coralline algae. I have a couple tiny snails with some coralline on their shells, and some tiny spots on some coral plugs, but this doesn't seem to be enough to spread to the rest of the tank (yet?). I will definitely look into ordering some of this "coralline algae in a bottle". My tank's Alk is fairly stable (although a bit higher than their recommended value), so I'll be curious to see if it 'takes off.'

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this great info! I had originally considered buying all of the liverock for my new system from ARC, but balked at the last minute because I was afraid of hitchhikers. Instead I went with CaribSea Life Rock, which looks great (already colored purple), but doesn't actually have any coralline algae. I have a couple tiny snails with some coralline on their shells, and some tiny spots on some coral plugs, but this doesn't seem to be enough to spread to the rest of the tank (yet?). I will definitely look into ordering some of this "coralline algae in a bottle". My tank's Alk is fairly stable (although a bit higher than their recommended value), so I'll be curious to see if it 'takes off.'
any amount in your tank will most likely spread eventually. But nothing like dumping a whole bottle of spores in. Im going to demand a free bottle for all the advertising ive done for them:cool: lol

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
any amount in your tank will most likely spread eventually. But nothing like dumping a whole bottle of spores in. Im going to demand a free bottle for all the advertising ive done for them:cool: lol
i was thinking the same! Haha

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just received this today. I ordered ARC reefs coralline in a bottle. They put a minimum of 6 different species of coralline into the bottle. I called and talked to the guy, he was extremely friendly and knowlegeable. He told me how they make it, and that by having many different species introduced, you are bound to get at least 3 or 4 that love your tank, and really take off. He said that they have done around 100 starter tank tests with this, and in nearly all of them, it took 4 weeks to develop the coralline "chickenpox" dots all over everything. I also support the work they do in miami building reefs in the atlantic. If you look on their site, they have some amazing live rock and coralline.
20180106_122513.jpg
20180106_122520.jpg
20180106_122138.jpg

Nice was just reading about this. Can anyone say if the bottle has an expiration date? I would not need it for a few months, but I like free shipping.

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neo, was that dry rock you are curing? Or was it live at one point?
I was about to use Dr Tim's One and Only tomorrow to start cycling before I ran into this Purple Haze stuff...Hmm, making me reconsider. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bdejong, just read throught your build...very nice. So I am assuming your would like to jump start your coralline growth. I posted earlier that I was about to cycle with Dr. Tim's but noticed this also has the bacteria...your thoughts?

NY_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off-I'm a sucka for corraline. Reefs full of purple rock look amazing and so natural. after seeing this I am placing an order tonight. I have wanted my tank to be covered in corraline for a few years now and it just won't take off. My old tank had it everywhere. Go figure. I was using a product by microb lift corraline algae accelerator but multiple strains of live spores sounds even better to me.

Since you are able to cycle your rock outside of the tank. I read somewhere on R2R about running an actinic bulb for 24 hours everyday as a method to tons of coralline. Obviously you couldn't do this in a stocked tank .

Just Add good flow and a bottle of that stuff and I bet it will all be covered in corraline in a week...
Post a pic of the results.

Good luck with the tank setup

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off-I'm a sucka for corraline. Reefs full of purple rock look amazing and so natural. after seeing this I am placing an order tonight. I have wanted my tank to be covered in corraline for a few years now and it just won't take off. My old tank had it everywhere. Go figure. I was using a product by microb lift corraline algae accelerator but multiple strains of live spores sounds even better to me.

Since you are able to cycle your rock outside of the tank. I read somewhere on R2R about running an actinic bulb for 24 hours everyday as a method to tons of coralline. Obviously you couldn't do this in a stocked tank .

Just Add good flow and a bottle of that stuff and I bet it will all be covered in corraline in a week...
Post a pic of the results.

Good luck with the tank setup
be sure to keep this thread updated on your progress! I dosed yesterday. Ill update as soon as i see anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back