Coralline algae introduction

Mr.Ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if anyone has any updates on the ARC Coralline in a bottle. Was following this thread, but see that it went inactive. Bumping this to keep it alive. Just ordered one of those bottles for my tank. Hopefully I get good results, my tank has been running for almost a year now.

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know if anyone has any updates on the ARC Coralline in a bottle. Was following this thread, but see that it went inactive. Bumping this to keep it alive. Just ordered one of those bottles for my tank. Hopefully I get good results, my tank has been running for almost a year now.
I was holding off on any more posts until there was a more grand coloration change.

I'm seeing more and more coloration I have plenty of green algae growing which appears to be normal for a 56 day old tank. One thing I'll note is that the coralline is growing over or taking over the green as well.

I'm too new to this sport to compare the speed of this growth compared to a more natural introduction but I would say it continues to grow and aligns with what ARC told me would happen. In my opinion this has been a success and continues to to improve. I've been happy with this. Not a great photo but best I could get without my coffee first.
d0d5a6a71e10bdfe8e65bc5c6d42c3e1.jpg

Mr.Ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was holding off on any more posts until there was a more grand coloration change.

I'm seeing more and more coloration I have plenty of green algae growing which appears to be normal for a 56 day old tank. One thing I'll note is that the coralline is growing over or taking over the green as well.

I'm too new to this sport to compare the speed of this growth compared to a more natural introduction but I would say it continues to grow and aligns with what ARC told me would happen. In my opinion this has been a success and continues to to improve. I've been happy with this. Not a great photo but best I could get without my coffee first.
d0d5a6a71e10bdfe8e65bc5c6d42c3e1.jpg

Awesome. Thank you for the picture. That's definitely coralline. I'm glad the product works, can't wait for mine to arrive.

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when did you introduce it?

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents. Dosed the coralline at the beginning of April, starting seeing spots after about 3 weeks.

Am fighting with Green Hair Algae now (unrelated cause) and basically stripped nutrients trying to starve the GHA. This had the effect of slamming on the brakes for my coralline growth. Spots stood still for three weeks until I got nutrients back up a bit (nitrate from 0 to 1.5ppm), now it’s slowly spreading again!

Hands down, this stuff really does work. But you have to maintain good parameters to get it to take off.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, thinking of giving this stuff on my new 280 Build. I nuked all the rock from my old tank by drying in the sun and then gave it all a muriatic acid bath. My old 90 gallon got infested with vertimid snails so no more hitchhikers. Rock is cleaner than clean at this point but has no coralline algae, etc. Anyone have any updates on this product?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 2 bottles of Purple Helix on 6-21-18..
Tank finished cycling about 1 1/2 months ago. Diatom phase didn't last long. Started with bleached and cooked Fiji rock. Dosed lanthanum chloride while curing. Phosphates were under .03 when I added the rock.. Needles to say, there are very little nutrients in the tank. Matter of fact, my Hanna ULR showed zero phosphate earlier this week. The Rock is back to its sterile looking state after the diatom phase also. Coralline algae should be easy to spot once it starts growing. I'm really hoping this product works for me. I ordered direct from ARC. The bottles were 93 degrees when I shot them with an infrared temp gun. It's was 100 degrees in Texas that day. I hope the high temperature of the bottles doesn't effect the product. It does say if the bottles are cold to bring them up to room temp before adding. Time will tell if the heat did anything. The bottles were plastic wrapped very well though. Will post pics if /when I see growth.

BigCitySmallReef

Zoaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine on 5/23 and haven't seen anything. I think it's because my pH is too low :( The instructions do say that you have to keep good parameters. Everything else is in check, hopefully I can correct this and still see some benefit.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added mine on 5/23 and haven't seen anything. I think it's because my pH is too low :( The instructions do say that you have to keep good parameters. Everything else is in check, hopefully I can correct this and still see some benefit.

I bet you get your Ph issues figured out. Your definitely in the right place for information. This is for sure the best online reefing community by far!!!! Randy Holmes Farley has tons of great articles on Reef Chemistry. Ph issues included. Could be a few things. I'm not sure how low you're talking about.
I've read tons of reviews on the product and some people weren't getting results until 3 months after adding the product. And there were others who never saw results. I think once you introduce it the spores are there, they just need time and the right environment. Lighting, water parameters, etc..Some people reported fading after running a UV sterilizer. Hopefully I didn't buy snake oil. Hopefully the product works out for you, and you start seeing result in the near future. Fingers crossed[emoji846]

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is ARC the only reputable source for retail coralline spores? I'd love to get orange, red and green strains as well.

(I'm a noob just starting up my first reef)

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- Seeded the tank on 6-21-18 with double the amount it called for and have seen zero results. Bummer. Maybe I got a bad batch. Water parameters have been stable. Lights are set at a max intenesity of 30% during peak hours which gives me a Par of roughly 200 or so at the top and about 90 or so on the bottom. Guess I'll have to introduce it the old fashion way.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back