Coralline algae introduction

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 day after adding the Purple Helix Algae I started to get my first hints of purple... (adding to my bit of green)

Incredibly difficult to photograph these pin pricks and shading but here is what I'm seeing...

Rock.png

How is everyone else coming along?

OP
OP
W Haymaker

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably ordered a bit early and then I had shipping issues but ARC stepped up. Thanks to them. I am near the end of cycling my tank with Dr Tim's and I was right at the 14th day of the bottling date for Purple. I have another post about my cycling because I was struggling and needed help.

I went for it yesterday though and introduced it. My ammonia was slightly below 1 ppm yet and instructions call for near zero. The rest of my parameters were in check though.

I'll keep on it.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23 day after adding the Purple Helix Algae I started to get my first hints of purple... (adding to my bit of green)

Incredibly difficult to photograph these pin pricks and shading but here is what I'm seeing...

Rock.png

How is everyone else coming along?
i am nearing 3 weeks and so far, have noticed nothing.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on little over a week, nothing so far.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today there was a change! I’m seeing pink/ purple spots take place but I’m also seeing bright green... there is more purple tho out of any of the colors .

Take a look

27CF3B79-4F6D-41F4-A705-98AD04FE5CBD.jpeg

590D1356-6A56-4CAB-A4CA-153E28CF75AE.jpeg

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if adding this product to a mature tank would have any negative effects? I have purple coralline but would like color variation. My concern is the added bacteria and if having the bacteria added would cause a bacterial bloom etc. as I am already up to speed on my bacteria if that makes sense.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if adding this product to a mature tank would have any negative effects? I have purple coralline but would like color variation. My concern is the added bacteria and if having the bacteria added would cause a bacterial bloom etc. as I am already up to speed on my bacteria if that makes sense.

I would think that would be just fine! Follow the directions and turn off your skimmer for a bit.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a lot of growth. A lot of red but also a lot of bright green. It’s kinda concerning. I did not want green. I don’t know if it’s photosynthetic green algae or just from the bottle. Seems like other people are getting bright green on amazon review. I have the rocks under 7k bulbs so I guess we will see what happened when it’s under my led lighting.

D926AAF8-CC41-4C35-99AB-7D5BF7F9F980.jpeg

5D5DA467-6649-4927-A791-FBAB537EBFFB.jpeg

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a lot of growth. A lot of red but also a lot of bright green. It’s kinda concerning. I did not want green. I don’t know if it’s photosynthetic green algae or just from the bottle. Seems like other people are getting bright green on amazon review. I have the rocks under 7k bulbs so I guess we will see what happened when it’s under my led lighting.

D926AAF8-CC41-4C35-99AB-7D5BF7F9F980.jpeg

5D5DA467-6649-4927-A791-FBAB537EBFFB.jpeg

Wow Yeah you're seeing significantly better growth than I am.... I think even though I followed the directions properly somewhere along the way I threw off my spores.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Yeah you're seeing significantly better growth than I am.... I think even though I followed the directions properly somewhere along the way I threw off my spores.
i havnt noticed anything either, and im at 3.5 weeks. I have a phosphate reactor coming, and im hoping that helps. I do have a bit of nuisance algae, nothing terrible though.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havnt noticed anything either, and im at 3.5 weeks. I have a phosphate reactor coming, and im hoping that helps. I do have a bit of nuisance algae, nothing terrible though.

I'm on day 30 but do have two small pieces of green algae the size of a penny or so growing that I can see. I have been doing LARGE water changes (talking 50%, and a couple 30%) over the last two weeks trying to keep my levels ideal. I did add some Chaeto for my fuge to try and keep the water as clean as possible. PH is hovering around 8.5, unsure of calcium, alkalinity I need to get a better grasp on. And until my BRS DIY screen top kit comes in I have a glass lid on my tank which could be hindering my PAR.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 30 but do have two small pieces of green algae the size of a penny or so growing that I can see. I have been doing LARGE water changes (talking 50%, and a couple 30%) over the last two weeks trying to keep my levels ideal. I did add some Chaeto for my fuge to try and keep the water as clean as possible. PH is hovering around 8.5, unsure of calcium, alkalinity I need to get a better grasp on. And until my BRS DIY screen top kit comes in I have a glass lid on my tank which could be hindering my PAR.
i saw a bit of green on one rock, i dont know if it is coralline or not. I would love to have green. Its easiest to spot the algae on powerheads, so thats where i look. Its tricky for me because i already have some light purple coralline originally.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need snails and/or hermits so go to the LFS and pick out a few with coraline on their shells. Make sure your Alk and Ca are stable and it will spread. You will be scraping it off the glass soon enough!!!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need snails and/or hermits so go to the LFS and pick out a few with coraline on their shells. Make sure your Alk and Ca are stable and it will spread. You will be scraping it off the glass soon enough!!!

I have 3 trochus snails and 2 narisus snails as well, we were really just following the progression of this product, the purple helix, and how it does with its use primarily for the coralline algae.

That being said I cant wait to have to do that scraping... these white rocks are ugly.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updates pics. Lot more green...

9C67C777-474F-434D-A6D3-EDECD1BCA7FA.jpeg

E078118D-A9A9-447E-BCC1-F6549013CF51.jpeg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome! Much better than mine. Are you just in a brute can right now? I cant get the scope from the close ups

Thanks. Ya I have about 160lbs of dry rock in a "tub" 55g long one. With heater, 2 power heads and some 7k bulbs.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ARCreef I ordered two bottles of coralline algae on Monday and got a shipment notification a few hours later. According to the tracking info though USPS hasn’t actually received the shipment yet. Are you all still having the shipment problems you mentioned earlier?

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ARCreef I ordered two bottles of coralline algae on Monday and got a shipment notification a few hours later. According to the tracking info though USPS hasn’t actually received the shipment yet. Are you all still having the shipment problems you mentioned earlier?
Nevermind! it shows delivery on Friday now!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back