Coralline disappearring

MaJuBo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
30
Reaction score
15
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why my purple coralline is disappearing off my live rock? There are 2 with this problem. I do not have urchins or crabs and haven’t added anything new to the tank in weeks. The tank has been up for 10 months and the coralline has been growing nicely until now.
75003E10-27F3-48AA-AF6E-A86C1EEBEF76.jpeg
image.jpg
 
Does anyone know why my purple coralline is disappearing off my live rock? There are 2 with this problem. I do not have urchins or crabs and haven’t added anything new to the tank in weeks. The tank has been up for 10 months and the coralline has been growing nicely until now.
75003E10-27F3-48AA-AF6E-A86C1EEBEF76.jpeg
image.jpg
how have your lighting and water parameters changed over this time? What are those parameters you've tested (what were they and what are they now)? RODI water used to make saltwater for regular water changes?

Just ruling out the basics since your info above is limited.
 
I think I see asterinas on the rocks

your eyes/monitor likely better than mine to see little starfish - seems like a VERY clean tank
 
parameters.
I use RO water

My Seneye says:
Temp is 77.7 fahrenheit
pH is 8.06
Ammonia is 0.002

salinity is in range according the refractometer (hubby says)

We add calcium, currently at 440p


I have some cyano and some diatoms. There is green hair algae on the rocks in the middle.

My protein skimmer started acting strangly (bubbling a lot, uncontrollably) when a snail died / we added the large Marco rock arch. I haven’t figured that out either.


We have only lost 1 snail in this tank (thankfully) and everyone else has been doing well.

93 gallon cube
Diamondback goby
Firefish
6 chromis
2 clowns
1 clown goby
1 starry blenny
2 cleaner shrimp
Lots of cerith snails (15?)
3 tronchus snails
3 nassarius snails
(No plans to add more, all stocked)
 
The rocks were fully covered in coralline? When did it start to go away until now? What's the time frame?
 
The rocks were fully covered in coralline? When did it start to go away until now? What's the time frame?
They were fully covered. I noticed it starting about 2 weeks ago.

maybe they need more light, I turned it down to slow some hair algae growth I had.
 
They were fully covered. I noticed it starting about 2 weeks ago.

maybe they need more light, I turned it down to slow some hair algae growth I had.
There may not be enough nutrients for it. I'm not an expert. But that's my thought.
 
I use RO water

My Seneye says:
Temp is 77.7 fahrenheit
pH is 8.06
Ammonia is 0.002

salinity is in range according the refractometer (hubby says)

We add calcium, currently at 440p


I have some cyano and some diatoms. There is green hair algae on the rocks in the middle.

My protein skimmer started acting strangly (bubbling a lot, uncontrollably) when a snail died / we added the large Marco rock arch. I haven’t figured that out either.


We have only lost 1 snail in this tank (thankfully) and everyone else has been doing well.

93 gallon cube
Diamondback goby
Firefish
6 chromis
2 clowns
1 clown goby
1 starry blenny
2 cleaner shrimp
Lots of cerith snails (15?)
3 tronchus snails
3 nassarius snails
(No plans to add more, all stocked)
What's your alkalinity? Did you also add alkalinity with the calcium?
 
I don’t know my alkalinity. I guess I better figure out how to test that and adjust. I’ll do some research! Thanks :)
 
I don’t know my alkalinity. I guess I better figure out how to test that and adjust. I’ll do some research! Thanks :)
How often do you do water changes? What percentage do you change? And what salt do you use.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new