Coralline disappearring

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 2 weeks, 10-20 percent. InstantOcean salt
Reef crystals or sea salt? And also it may be possible that your water changes don't have enough nutrients to keep the amount of Coraline you have to thrive. It's possible you could benefit from doing more frequent water changes or dosing to keep your parameters to a suitable level. Meaning alk, cal, mg. Ect. Aswell as the light you turned down. If you noticed a change in Coraline after you dimmed your lights, that could be it too.

OP
OP
M

MaJuBo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that coralife ‘life rock’? It looks like it. If so, it’s the paint chipping/sloughing off.
It’s a marco rock. I came white, the coralline grew on it. I do have a “life rock” in the tank, on top of the marco rock pillar thing. I am not a fan of it.

OP
OP
M

MaJuBo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a marco rock. It came white and the coralline grew on it. I so have a “life rock” in the tank, on top of the marco rock pillar—I am not a fan.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I am afraid of hitch hikers. I do have 3 real live rock in there, to seed things.
I think the fear of hitchhikers is largely overblown. I can’t imagine having a reef tank without all the microfauna and hitchhikers, to me without them it’s not a reef tank, it’s a coral display tank.

OP
OP
M

MaJuBo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fear of hitchhikers is largely overblown. I can’t imagine having a reef tank without all the microfauna and hitchhikers, to me without them it’s not a reef tank, it’s a coral display tank.
You are right. I’ll get there. Give me a year or so :)

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote check your alkalinity.

I've had a tough time getting it to grow in my tank over the last year. I went away on vacation for 2 weeks in june. Sadly the alk spiked from around 9dKH to 10.5. Wasn't great for the corals, however when I came back from my vacation it was like someone took a paintball gun to my tank and painted it with coralline algae.

OP
OP
M

MaJuBo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to thank you all for the advice! I have started using Kalkwasser and adjusted my lighting again. Things are looking better and I’ve seen coralline growth ;)

Back