OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be concerned about the other ingredients.
I totally agree and I’m not sure if it’s even safe considering all the other ingredients. I had no idea people use that stuff. I just ordered Neonitro, will this work by getting nitrates up safely? Nitrates still at zero this morning and Dino’s are still present and aggressive.

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I totally agree and I’m not sure if it’s even safe considering all the other ingredients. I had no idea people use that stuff. I just ordered Neonitro, will this work by getting nitrates up safely? Nitrates still at zero this morning and Dino’s are still present and aggressive.
FWIW Randy Homles-Farley has a recipe for the stump remover for nitrate but I can understand your hesitance to dump in the "unknown". https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing.213281/

Neonitro will work for raising nitrates. I also have a bottle of neophos in order to dose phosphates if needed.

Zero nitrates = not good. Corals can wash out and be very pale or bleached with prolonged zero nitrates/phosphates. Dinos also thrive in this environment as they can out-compete other organisms.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me when my po4 shot up to .4
Lost all my sps and a few nicer lps. Over a 24-48 hr period.
If your nitrate is zero, phosphates will continue to climb because they need to be in balance before your tank can consume them together.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me when my po4 shot up to .4
Lost all my sps and a few nicer lps. Over a 24-48 hr period.
If your nitrate is zero, phosphates will continue to climb because they need to be in balance before your tank can consume them together.
This is exactly what I think is the core issue. Neonitro is arriving today, hopefully I can get nitrates up but honestly the damage has been done. Lost most of my SPS and the rest are turning white. Only a handful look fine but it’s devastating.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I think is the core issue. Neonitro is arriving today, hopefully I can get nitrates up but honestly the damage has been done. Lost most of my SPS and the rest are turning white. Only a handful look fine but it’s devastating.
It’s a hard hurdle to get over. I waited a long time before spending the money on nice sps and currently have zero. One coral at time we’ll get there again.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Randy Homles-Farley has a recipe for the stump remover for nitrate but I can understand your hesitance to dump in the "unknown". https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/question-about-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing.213281/

Neonitro will work for raising nitrates. I also have a bottle of neophos in order to dose phosphates if needed.

Zero nitrates = not good. Corals can wash out and be very pale or bleached with prolonged zero nitrates/phosphates. Dinos also thrive in this environment as they can out-compete other organisms.
Hey I just wanted to give a quick follow up. I dosed the Neonitro for the last 2 days. I tested my nitrate and it went from 0 to 4! Very happy to see the product worked. My gonis are fully 100% back and look better than ever. It was too late for most of the acros but a few are hanging on. But sadly the Dino’s have not budged. Does it take a while after raising the nitrates before they start to disappear? Thanks

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just wanted to give a quick follow up. I dosed the Neonitro for the last 2 days. I tested my nitrate and it went from 0 to 4! Very happy to see the product worked. My gonis are fully 100% back and look better than ever. It was too late for most of the acros but a few are hanging on. But sadly the Dino’s have not budged. Does it take a while after raising the nitrates before they start to disappear? Thanks
Yes. Run uv at night and keep your nutrients up. They will go away. It will pass. Best wishes .

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They won't disappear in a day, but you should start to see things turn around. Just keep up on the carbon and don't do any water changes for a bit.

I dosed hydrogen peroxide every night after the lights go off when I had my dino issue. Hard to tell how much it actually helped because I was also dosing nitrates and cut back on my light intensity. I do believe it helped to weaken the dinos though and let other good organisms begin to take over.

Dinos are more common now with using any percentage of dry rock with new setups.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Randy Holmes-Farley will say:
"whats in neonitro? "

No ingredient list on the bottle, other then to trust the manufacturer(whos to say it isn't just stump remover also?).

Many unknowns in either bottle. Better to buy a nitrate product that is solely nitrate, like sodium nitrate, or potassium nitrate(salt peter). This way you know exactly what your adding to your tank.

FWIW, I have used spectracide stump remover in the past with 0 issues. Just wasn't getting that warm fuzzy feeling from using it after I saw all the impurities after mixing it with water.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect siphoning algae into a sock as at least part of the problem. I've done it myeslf and it's a great way to remove a lot of nuisance algae quickly but unfortunately it also flushes the bad DOC algae makes off into the water that's returned to the system. I'd follow th eabove recommendations to try to keep things stable and reduce anything that stresses the corals as much as possible. Keep in mind this is resetting th clock on your system and be patient restocking.

Back