Corals & The Wife

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my 90 gallon reef tank my wife thought I had gone off my rocker for investing so much money. A few months passed and slowly she began selecting fish. Then over the past 2 weeks some truly miraculous happened. I noticed she was watching a lot of videos on reef tanks, researching corals. Last week she shocked me. She told me she had ordered me a coral light, protein skimmer. Then when they arrived she told me she had ordered corals from some auction place called "Sunnyside". Cool I thought. In the meantime she has us going to area fish stores where she is selecting various corals. Just in corals she has spent around $2000!

To make things more interesting she is educating me on corals, proper powerhead water flow, lighting, all aspects of corals and reef safe fish.
Amazing!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into this many years ago, I was a bachelor. My now wife was my GF and could not understand what all the fascination was. 20 some odd years later, I honestly think she knows more then I do. lol

She likes the fish, and picks them out. I like the corals and maintain the tank for them. Healthy corals = healthy water = healthy fish.

So we are both happy.

Reefcare1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started this hobby decades ago , my wife informed me on how hard they are to keep , and all the problems and expenses associated with them.
So I decided not to even try.
I got rid of her.
My corals and fish seem to do fine.
You are lucky !

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great story! You found your true love ;-) My wife is more than happy to enjoy the tank with me, take care of it when I am away. But otherwise mostly disinterested in it.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my 90 gallon reef tank my wife thought I had gone off my rocker for investing so much money. A few months passed and slowly she began selecting fish. Then over the past 2 weeks some truly miraculous happened. I noticed she was watching a lot of videos on reef tanks, researching corals. Last week she shocked me. She told me she had ordered me a coral light, protein skimmer. Then when they arrived she told me she had ordered corals from some auction place called "Sunnyside". Cool I thought. In the meantime she has us going to area fish stores where she is selecting various corals. Just in corals she has spent around $2000!

To make things more interesting she is educating me on corals, proper powerhead water flow, lighting, all aspects of corals and reef safe fish.
Amazing!
My wife picks all the fish and some coral.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amazing!
mine was interested in having a colorful clean neat display in the living room, and spent a fair amount of time watching and naming and reminding me how much she doesn't like algae on the glass

You are lucky and be glad for what it does for your relationship

here's to you both

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amazing!
Women are full of surprises :winking-face:

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is just as into this hobby as I am. She regularly picks out fish and corals, and the fluval evo in our bedroom is her tank. She picked out all the equipment, the fish, the corals, everything. She is also picking out all the fish and most of the coral for our 47 gallon tank, and does the maintenance on all of our tanks while I'm away at school.

I still tend to spend more than her, especially on fish and corals, but I can only say that it's because she's way more frugal than me. I cringe spending $20 on a pair of blue jeans, but happily drop $200+ for a single fish.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$20 jeans - way too expensive.
$200 yellow tang - take my money! lol :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I have a hard time with the yellow tangs though... I remember buying my first one with birthday money way back in 2003 for $19.99. My LFS at the time had a big sale going with boxes of fish all over, still in their bags from shipping. $20 yellow tangs, $25 naso tangs, $20 coral beauty angels and rusty angels, assorted damsels and green chromis 4 for $10, $10 sixline wrasses, $15 mandarinfish, $25 copperband butterflyfish, $0.99 jumbo mexican turbo snails, $25 flame hawkfish, and all kinds of imported cheap SPS and LPS colonies.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time with the yellow tangs though... I remember buying my first one with birthday money way back in 2003 for $19.99. My LFS at the time had a big sale going with boxes of fish all over, still in their bags from shipping. $20 yellow tangs, $25 naso tangs, $20 coral beauty angels and rusty angels, assorted damsels and green chromis 4 for $10, $15 mandarinfish, $25 copperband butterflyfish, $0.99 jumbo mexican turbo snails, $25 flame hawkfish, and all kinds of imported cheap SPS and LPS colonies.
You and me both. I bought a yellow coris wrasse for $40 instead.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and me both. I bought a yellow coris wrasse for $40 instead.
Can't bring myself to spend that on a yellow tang, but throw wrasses at me and my money's gone before I even know what happened.

As far as tangs, I keep being tempted by purples and powder blue x goldrim hybrids

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't bring myself to spend that on a yellow tang, but throw wrasses at me and my money's gone before I even know what happened.

As far as tangs, I keep being tempted by purples and powder blue x goldrim hybrids
I've just got one, "Finn" (as in sailfin). Very smart fish - not your average tang. Had a small naso for all of 2 days to watch it nosedive into an elegance coral. Tangs are generally so stupid...

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just got one, "Finn" (as in sailfin). Very smart fish - not your average tang. Had a small naso for all of 2 days to watch it nosedive into an elegance coral. Tangs are generally so stupid...
I had 3 sailfins in my old 380 gallon, and a desjardini sailfin in my old 187 gallon. Awesome fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back