Core7 initial starting dose (75 gallon total volume)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian, can you tell me if my math looks accurate please:

Triton Core7 starting dose:

2mL per 100L or 26.4 gallons

*My tank = 75g total water volume*

100L or 26.4 gallons x 3 = 79.2 gallons (close enough)

2mL x 3 = 6mL per 79.2 gallons.

If I dilute Core7 by 1/2 this would increase the starting dose to 4mL per 100L or 26.4 gallons.

4mL x 3 = 12ml per 79.2 gallons if all 4 bottles are diluted by 1/2.

However, if 3a & 3b are combined that would make the dose for 3a & 3b 24mL per 100L or 79.2 gallons rather than 12mL.

I’m currently dosing 28.4mL of ESV daily.

Last edited:

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response on this. Will get back to you with a reply tomorrow.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian, can you tell me if my math looks accurate please:

Triton Core7 starting dose:

2mL per 100L or 26.4 gallons

*My tank = 75g total water volume*

100L or 26.4 gallons x 3 = 79.2 gallons (close enough)

2mL x 3 = 6mL per 79.2 gallons.

If I dilute Core7 by 1/2 this would increase the starting dose to 4mL per 100L or 26.4 gallons.

4mL x 3 = 12ml per 79.2 gallons if all 4 bottles are diluted by 1/2.

However, if 3a & 3b are combined that would make the dose for 3a & 3b 24mL per 100L or 79.2 gallons rather than 12mL.

The math to this point is correct.

[QUOTE="Reefahholic, post: 6694621, member: 45257"
(3a has 9750 dKH and 3b has 9750 dKH. Cut by 1/2 they would both have 4875 dKH, but if combined to save a dosing head they would now both = 9750 dKH together. Plus I’d need to dose double the amount since I’ve combined them.)
[/QUOTE]

To simplify this I can say the following:
Core7 has 9750dKH/L. When you combine 3a and 3b the concentration remains the same as it is double the dKH in double the volume.
When you dilute this by half then you will have 4875dKH/L in solution and you should dose with this in mind.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing some calculations and if I add the whole Liter of 3a or 3b (after it’s mixed) to 2.5 liters of RO/DI it should bring me to 3900 dKH in that 3.5/L “total solution.”

Example:
1/L Core7 3a + 2.5/L RODI = 3.5 total liters of 3900 dKH.

So if I dilute both the same @ 3900 dKH + 3900 dKH that = 7800 dKH when I add them together. So coming from ESV B-Ionic which is 7,840 dKH/L it should be a smooth transition. If I did the math below right. :oops:

Although I will have to increase the starting dose from 2mL per 100/L to about 5/mL per 100/L since I’ve diluted it. I think that’s right.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/L Core7 3a + 2.5/L RODI = 3.5 total liters of 3900 dKH.
To be clear on this you will have 3900 dKH per litre so 3.5L will have the same total of 9750dKH.

If you are dosing ESV at 28.4ml per day and it is 7840dKH per litre then you will only need to add 22.84ml of TRITON 3a or 3b as it is 9750dKH per litre.

If you want to dilute the TRITON 3a or 3b by adding another litre of RO/DI then you will have 2 litres at 4875dKH and will need to add 45.68ml per day to maintain your current dosing.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear on this you will have 3900 dKH per litre so 3.5L will have the same total of 9750dKH.

If you are dosing ESV at 28.4ml per day and it is 7840dKH per litre then you will only need to add 22.84ml of TRITON 3a or 3b as it is 9750dKH per litre.

If you want to dilute the TRITON 3a or 3b by adding another litre of RO/DI then you will have 2 litres at 4875dKH and will need to add 45.68ml per day to maintain your current dosing.

I think that’s right Julian.

Or maybe my math is incorrect.

Let me break it down a bit more. I will mix the 3a powder with approx 960mL of RO/DI to make a 1/L solution.

If I add that 1/L solution to 2.5/L of RO/DI it will give me a total volume of 3.5/L @ 3900 dKH if my math is correct.

Then if I mixed the same concentration with 3b it would make 7800 dKH solution if I mixed both together.

That volume is too big for my reservoir so I’ll have to break it down more. Those were the numbers I was playing with because at first I was gonna use very large reservoirs. Now I recently bought 2/L reservoirs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have 2/L reservoirs and 3a + 3b will be combined in a 2/L compartment- I did more math. Which could be dangerous. :D:oops:

If I add 0.28/L of 3a or 3b to 0.7/L of RO/DI it should give me 3900dkh solution. Total volume of 0.98/L (almost 1 liter).

So adding both together will give me a volume of 1.96/L (my reservoir is 2/L max) and dKH of 7800. So that will be just under my 2/L mark with my desired dKH. ;Hilarious Which ever route I take... I just gotta remember to dilute them all “equally” to avoid an imbalance.

I’ll have to double check this in the morning. It’s 1:52 a.m. I still don’t really know exactly what I wanna do.

I have (4) 4/L “space saver reservoirs” as well. I may end up making a dilution in those and use them to fill the 2/L reservoirs as they become depleted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that’s to much math

What’s your daily dkh consumption?

Why are you diluting it?

I’m diluting my Core7 because my system is about 75/G total water volume and Core7 is the strongest 2-part on the market. The first time I ran Core7 I had double the water volume which was much easier on the tank. The 2nd time I ran Core7 the transition wasn’t as smooth. :)

Dropping a less potent dose allows me to spread the dose out more and dose 150x a day. It also mitigates the “spike” to the system. A gentle dose that’s dosed more frequently promotes improved stability. Kinda like a calcium reactor.

Alk consumption (in a way) depends a lot on which brand of 2-part you’re dosing. I think you might be wondering if my demand is very low.? I’d say It’s about average for my 10 month old reef, but is looking at daily Alkalinity demand more important than understanding the strength of the 2-part you’re dosing into the system?

For example, my daily demand with ESV is 30mL. If I were changing over to Aquaforest my 30mL daily dosing demand would significantly increase (as in mL’s dosed daily) because it’s 180% less potent than ESV-Bionic meaning I would need to dose so much more to keep up. Let’s look at a few examples:

BRS 2-part is 89.28% stronger than Aquaforest.

Tropic Marin Carbo-Calcium is 5.66% stronger than BRS.

ESV B-Ionic is 47.92% stronger than BRS & 180% stronger than Aquaforest.

Triton is 24.36% stronger than ESV.

Aquaforest is 248.21% less potent than Triton.

So as you can see...although your daily Alk consumption Is the same...not every 2-part is created equally. Therefore, I’ll dilute Core7 to my preferred dKH that is working well for my tank currently. Later I may run at full strength.:oops:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Julian, I’m confused again. Where did the 19500 dKH number come from? I wanna be clear this time around and don’t want any surprises. Are the Alkalinity components 9750 dKH and 19500 total for 3a & 3b or is it only 9750 for both when added together? Was that a typo below??

To simplify this I can say the following:
Core7 has 9750dKH/L. When you combine 3a and 3b the concentration remains the same as it is double the dKH in double the volume.
When you dilute this by half then you will have 4875dKH/L in solution and you should dose with this in mind.

The alkalinity strength of Core7 is 19500 dKH / (4 x 1L) set.

This was widely advertised when we initially started selling Core7 and was a large part of our marketing campaign. Core7 still remains the most concentrated inorganic alkalinity solution sold as a professional product on the market.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you cut 9750 dKH by 1/2 you would add 1/L to the stock solution of 1/L for a new Solution of 2/L @ 4875 dKH.?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are overthinking way to much
In some situations that’s a good thing but this one i believe it isn’t your putting more wear and tear on your doser and adding more variables into something that plenty of people make work everyday

And if you have a good doser it’s going to split it up anyway

1 ml raises dkh in 25 gallons of water by .1

If you’re worried about it that much water it down by doubling the content into 2000 ml making one ml doses equal to .05 dkh in 25 gallons

Or just dose when alk gets consumed the most four hours before lights go out and two hours after lights go out

by adding 3a and 3b together your not changing the potency of anything you just have to dose double the fluid

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are overthinking way to much
In some situations that’s a good thing but this one i believe it isn’t your putting more wear and tear on your doser and adding more variables into something that plenty of people make work everyday

And if you have a good doser it’s going to split it up anyway

1 ml raises dkh in 25 gallons of water by .1

If you’re worried about it that much water it down by doubling the content into 2000 ml making one ml doses equal to .05 dkh in 25 gallons

Or just dose when alk gets consumed the most four hours before lights go out and two hours after lights go out

by adding 3a and 3b together your not changing the potency of anything you just have to dose double the fluid

I try to dose 150x a day for stability. I can’t accomplish that with my water volume and higher potency. I need to dilute it, because I want the dose spread out. If I had a larger water volume it would be no problem. :)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following along.
Read and re-read twice over.
Honestly I have to say I should not comment as I dont truley understand the context here.
That said, its the reason I am commenting, because I think the situation is being handled in a way to complex manner.
Test your parameters in the water column.
Mix the Core7 as directed.
Then dose or not dose based on the triton Core7 direction based on the current water colum results.

Everyone does things differently based off of the knowledge and comfort level they have.
I dont think the triton method needs this much mathmatics and complexity nor was it designed to be done this way.

I can appreciate the level of detail put forth here, just don't understand the need for the added complexity to solve the issue.

No insult meant for anyone here, in fact I comend the understanding and knowledge one must have to figure all this out. Clearly its above my pay grade.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your concern here.
But a 75G system is not a small system.
I would understand if this were a 25G nano.
I dont know that reefers with 40G breeder tanks using the Triton method do this. But I will follow along becUse I dont know everything and always in hopes of learning.
But I will say I think your setting yourself up for a potential problem and result. Diluting and quadrupling dosing lead to more potential error.
Agan no insult here just questioning the theory.

I dont think full strength dosage will shock your tank, or not cause stability isues.
I feel the opposite actually, I fell such small dosage will take months to show a change. is this more stable, I dont know, but by the time it does will there still be livestock left

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following along.
Read and re-read twice over.
Honestly I have to say I should not comment as I dont truley understand the context here.
That said, its the reason I am commenting, because I think the situation is being handled in a way to complex manner.
Test your parameters in the water column.
Mix the Core7 as directed.
Then dose or not dose based on the triton Core7 direction based on the current water colum results.

Everyone does things differently based off of the knowledge and comfort level they have.
I dont think the triton method needs this much mathmatics and complexity nor was it designed to be done this way.

I can appreciate the level of detail put forth here, just don't understand the need for the added complexity to solve the issue.

No insult meant for anyone here, in fact I comend the understanding and knowledge one must have to figure all this out. Clearly its above my pay grade.

I appreciate your response. This simple picture may answer your question:

My intention here is not to make it complicated, but sometimes things are just that way. Bottom line...I’m not willing to loose any coral. So understanding this method fully is key for me. Especially if I’m diluting the product (which is perfectly within reason) for my total volume and the results I’m trying to achieve. My apologies if the dilution ratios are giving you headaches.

The reason why it was initially hard for me to understand is because I was hearing two different numbers. I don’t like going into anything blind. That only leads to issues down the road. So I wanted to be sure of exactly what I was doing. Take these quotes for example:

To make it easy for Randy to follow:
3a mixed with RO/DI (according to the instructions) makes up to 1 litre at 9750dKH
3b mixed makes up 1 litre at 9750dKH
Together you have 2 litres with a total of 19500dKH.

Easy answer is mixing any two alkalinity additives gives a product that is the weighted average of the two mixes (barring the possibility of chemical precipitation that may lower the potency, like mixing sodium carbonate and calcium formate).

Since these are both the same, mixing in any ratio gives a product that has the same potency.

To make it easy for Randy to follow:
3a mixed with RO/DI (according to the instructions) makes up to 1 litre at 9750dKH
3b mixed makes up 1 litre at 9750dKH
Together you have 2 litres with a total of 19500dKH.
If you combine liquids of equal potency, the potency is unchanged.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a true bummer. I hope your efforts will pay off and it survives.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think full strength dosage will shock your tank, or not cause stability isues.
I feel the opposite actually, I fell such small dosage will take months to show a change. is this more stable, I dont know, but by the time it does will there still be livestock left

K7BMG...Are you’re familiar with calcium reactors and how they work? I’ll try to explain this, but will probably do a poor job. They reason why reactors are so effective is because the dose going in is very weak. However, this is being dosed (24/7) to maintain the dKH. So even though hitting the water it’s weaker...the overall dKH it’s maintaining is the same because it’s running continuously.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a true bummer. I hope your efforts will pay off and it survives.

This was 5 months ago and I lost that entire colony among several others. This one was a blueberry fields Acropora. A beauty. Fast grower too. My friend Psxerholic still has the mother colony so it will be revisiting my tank.

Anyway, times have changed and I’ve moved on. This is why I’m being extra cautious this time around. No more mistakes or misunderstandings. :)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a calcium rector, so I have no knowledge of its use and how to implement it.
Yes I understand that the idea overall here is to keep things as stable as possible.

One thing you omitted to mention is you were in the middle of dye off, just expressed you were changing methods. Not the why, It makes far more sense now that your going to the lengths your going.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back