Core7 initial starting dose (75 gallon total volume)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used a calcium rector, so I have no knowledge of its use and how to implement it.
Yes I understand that the idea overall here is to keep things as stable as possible.

One thing you omitted to mention is you were in the middle of dye off, just expressed you were changing methods. Not the why, It makes far more sense now that your going to the lengths your going.

Thank you. :)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your always going to loose sps but by trying to make it your way I think in the long run is just going to be more detrimental to your tank your trying to dose 150 times a day or whatever and I don’t think its That good of an idea
What happens when your tank starts consuming more are you still going to water the fluid down?

I only dose ten hours a day and have what I would call a system almost anyone would want in their house

I’d just find out your daily alk consumption use what I said and test daily until you feel comfortable that everything is fine

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your caution based on your history and would do the same in your position.

I believe the confusion here is coming from a misunderstanding of the terms potency/concentration and total dKH.

When you mix 3a and 3b together to make up a 2 litre solution you have the following:
A solution that has a potency/concentration that is 9750dKH/L
A solution that has a total of 19500dKH

Does this make sense?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your caution based on your history and would do the same in your position.

I believe the confusion here is coming from a misunderstanding of the terms potency/concentration and total dKH.

When you mix 3a and 3b together to make up a 2 litre solution you have the following:
A solution that has a potency/concentration that is 9750dKH/L
A solution that has a total of 19500dKH

Does this make sense?

Up until the last statement it makes sense.

If you combine liquids of equal potency, the potency is unchanged.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B0F59962-8740-4FCD-9811-AA9BAC909F17.jpeg
Your always going to loose sps but by trying to make it your way I think in the long run is just going to be more detrimental to your tank your trying to dose 150 times a day or whatever and I don’t think its That good of an idea
What happens when your tank starts consuming more are you still going to water the fluid down?

I only dose ten hours a day and have what I would call a system almost anyone would want in their house

I’d just find out your daily alk consumption use what I said and test daily until you feel comfortable that everything is fine

Can we see a picture of your tank? How long has it been up?

For most of us including myself the primary goal is stability that leads to rapid growth. You will have much faster growth dosing 150x a day rather than dosing 10x a day.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a picture of your tank? How long has it been up?

For most of us including myself the primary goal is stability that leads to rapid growth. You will have much faster growth dosing 150x a day rather than dosing 10x a day.

I don't entirely disagree and have since gone to a continuous dosing schedule myself. But, I will say my SPS dominant reef was grown out very quickly dosing Triton only 4x per day for the first 1.5 years (it's only nearing 2 years now so the pics in my thread were accomplished with that schedule). I have very high alk consumption (I dose 90 ml per day of each Triton solution on my 165g) and was getting about .5 dkh swings daily until I went to continuous dosing. More important than continuous dosing, however, I found with my Trident testing more frequently now that day / night staggered dosing is even more crucial if you're really after true stability (even with continuous dosing I got pretty sizable day / night alk swings until I recently started adjusting the dose to be heavier during the day). However, it still worked out just fine with minimal dosing intervals. So while I fully support going for max stability, I wouldn't necessarily say it's absolutely required, even for an SPS dominant system (within reason of course).

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't entirely disagree and have since gone to a continuous dosing schedule myself. But, I will say my SPS dominant reef was grown out very quickly dosing Triton only 4x per day for the first 1.5 years (it's only nearing 2 years now so the pics in my thread were accomplished with that schedule). I have very high alk consumption (I dose 90 ml per day of each Triton solution on my 165g) and was getting about .5 dkh swings daily until I went to continuous dosing. More important than continuous dosing, however, I found with my Trident testing more frequently now that day / night staggered dosing is even more crucial if you're really after true stability (even with continuous dosing I got pretty sizable day / night alk swings until I recently started adjusting the dose to be heavier during the day). However, it still worked out just fine with minimal dosing intervals. So while I fully support going for max stability, I wouldn't necessarily say it's absolutely required, even for an SPS dominant system (within reason of course).

I agree 100%. I never said it was absolutely required though and I would never force my method on anybody.

That being said...the most rapid growth, even as you just stated above, comes from increased stability which is achieved in many ways. Such as increasing pH, running out your doses more, keeping every change as minimal as possible, dosing more in the day and less at night, etc.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. So why can't you just dose less per interval instead of diluting the solution? Have you already reached the minimum dose allowed per interval? Sorry if I missed this already explained...

My GHL doses down to 0.1mL.

The starting dose for Core7 is 2mL per 26.4/G. Which is about 6ml or less for my 65-75 gallon system. Not really sure the exact water volume. So let’s say I’m dosing 6mL daily. 150 x 0.1 = 15ml minimal dose at that frequency.

So let’s say I cut it by 1/2. 6 now becomes 12. Do you see I’m getting closer to that 150x daily which is the max my doser can dose.

If it could dose 500x daily...guess what my dose would be??

This is exactly why people see so much growth with Calcium Reactors. That steady stream creates the most stable environment for the corals when it comes to adding back elements. As you can see from people that run them...the corals respond very well.

I’m not a huge fan of reactors and filling CO2 bottles, but not that they have automatic reactors, I’d be willing to make the switch if I had the money.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F98347C0-08DB-426F-8214-65AFEE42A746.png

dkh stability
54056770-E3AF-4A88-BBF6-F73784809353.png

Only when I dose

coral photos u can search for my thread
1AA04114-8362-4E54-904F-107C576AA774.jpeg
5F6F3FE6-B895-414E-A756-815AF43218D6.jpeg
1F20C5F2-8F13-440D-8035-B5C7768FD09F.jpeg
56808E08-2B6B-4A90-8532-CF4686A0A20C.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CMO, very nice tank btw...you can definitely see that Core7 color. Ehsan has this down to a science which is why I’m coming back. Knock on wood that everything will go smooth on this transition. I’ve already stopped Red Sea Trace colors and started 20% water changes to flush the system to prepare for Triton. Should be ready to go online Monday. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F98347C0-08DB-426F-8214-65AFEE42A746.png

dkh stability
54056770-E3AF-4A88-BBF6-F73784809353.png

Only when I dose

coral photos u can search for my thread
1AA04114-8362-4E54-904F-107C576AA774.jpeg
5F6F3FE6-B895-414E-A756-815AF43218D6.jpeg
1F20C5F2-8F13-440D-8035-B5C7768FD09F.jpeg
56808E08-2B6B-4A90-8532-CF4686A0A20C.jpeg

Very nice sir...imagine if you spread that dose out! Wink Wink.

What’s your average pH with Triton?

I’m trying to determine if I can keep my Kalk running or take it offline.?? Hmmm...

What’s your pH range CMO??

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your trying to make your doser a calcium reactor and it’s not your making it way harder then it has to be there is no benefit from watering it down or tying to dose it your way I can see only more variable that can cause more trouble in the long run by being one of the only people watering it down to what you want is going to make it harder to diagnose a problem if you do run into one
I do wish you luck But I just think u are overthinking something that was made to be easy

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice sir...imagine if you spread that dose out! Wink Wink.

What’s your average pH with Triton?

I’m trying to determine if I can keep my Kalk running or take it offline.?? Hmmm...

What’s your pH range CMO??
i dose agallon of kalk a day and run a co2 scrubber

my ph probe is prolly shot cause I don’t really care about it but it says 8.1-8.4

I did have it spread outover 24 hours and the dkh was a one point swing daily that’s what I’m trying to tell ya it’s pointless

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your trying to make your doser a calcium reactor and it’s not your making it way harder then it has to be there is no benefit from watering it down or tying to dose it your way I can see only more variable that can cause more trouble in the long run by being one of the only people watering it down to what you want is going to make it harder to diagnose a problem if you do run into one
I do wish you luck But I just think u are overthinking something that was made to be easy

Well, thx for your input but I respectfully disagree. It is the strongest 2-part on the market and it’s my choice to dilute. Triton and other 2-part brands like Red Sea say it’s perfectly fine to dilute their product if it fits your needs. If my doser is capable of dosing 150x a day I will definitely take advantage of it.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dose agallon of kalk a day and run a co2 scrubber

my ph probe is prolly shot cause I don’t really care about it but it says 8.1-8.4

I did have it spread outover 24 hours and the dkh was a one point swing daily that’s what I’m trying to tell ya it’s pointless

So you dose a gallon of Kalk a day and a CO2 scrubber yet you’re debating me on stability and tying to convince me it’s unimportant!?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHL doses down to 0.1mL.

The starting dose for Core7 is 2mL per 26.4/G. Which is about 6ml or less for my 65-75 gallon system. Not really sure the exact water volume. So let’s say I’m dosing 6mL daily. 150 x 0.1 = 15ml minimal dose at that frequency.

So let’s say I cut it by 1/2. 6 now becomes 12. Do you see I’m getting closer to that 150x daily which is the max my doser can dose.

If it could dose 500x daily...guess what my dose would be??

This is exactly why people see so much growth with Calcium Reactors. That steady stream creates the most stable environment for the corals when it comes to adding back elements. As you can see from people that run them...the corals respond very well.

I’m not a huge fan of reactors and filling CO2 bottles, but not that they have automatic reactors, I’d be willing to make the switch if I had the money.

Well it sounds like you're dealing with a new tank here so none of this should be an issue in the long run once you're dose increases. But I see what you're saying for now when the dose is super low. I always found it strange that Triton provides a starting dose. IMO that make no sense whatsoever. The starting dose should simply be the required dose to maintain what ever dkh you're targeting (7-8). The stage and coral composition of tanks makes it impossible to give a starting dose like this IMO.

I also prefer dosing over a CA reactor and think you can reach similar levels of stability with high interval dosing. Core 7 coupled with an auto tester for the big 3 is awesome and I think gives even more options for stability than a CA reactor in some ways. Since I started using a Trident I now dose unequal to target levels based on my regular Trident readings of Alk, Mag and Cal.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I run a CO2 reactor to keep PH in the range of 8.1-8.4. This has a BIG impact on alk consumption (and presumably growth unless some of it is due to precipitation at higher PH).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back